Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Recommended endmill sharpening jig

Lacking the money for a Darex or Cuttermaster endmill rig, I'm looking
for low-cost alternatives that work well, but perhaps aren't quite as
"automatic" as the two above.

I'm _halfway_ tempted to build a Cuttermaster clone, liking the action a
bit better than the Darex. But, MAN! I haven't got the time right now.

Any Good Ideas?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 11, 9:30*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Lacking the money for a Darex or Cuttermaster endmill rig, I'm looking
for low-cost alternatives that work well, but perhaps aren't quite as
"automatic" as the two above.

I'm _halfway_ tempted to build a Cuttermaster clone, liking the action a
bit better than the Darex. *But, MAN! *I haven't got the time right now.

Any Good Ideas?

LLoyd

This surface grinder fixture works well enough for me:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/T...98039281271986

It only sharpens the end and renews the tips, so I try to minimize
side cutting and plunge to rough out most of a slot, or take shallow
cuts for a step. It will bevel the corners which allows side cutting
to the depth of the bevel.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--So take three months and build a Quorn; you'll be glad ya did.
Heh.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Do us a favor and rescue
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : a doggie or three...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer fired this volley in news:496a20fe$0$1635
:

--So take three months and build a Quorn; you'll be glad ya did.
Heh.

Well, the price is right. Do you have one? I can't find any finished
pictures, yet. How does the slide-rotate action work. Does he have an
air bearing like the Darex, or some other method?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 06:40:15 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

This surface grinder fixture works well enough for me:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/T...98039281271986

Jim Wilkins

Jim, I have Grizzly's variant of that
http://grizzly.com/products/End-Mill...-Fixture/G9887
and am learning to use it - not totally successfully. I'm just trying
2 flute end mills at the moment.

I'm still green as a Christmas tree to my surface grinder. What's the
sequence / procedure to set the grinding jig up and use it? How do
you get the gash so that the end mills center cut?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim, I have Grizzly's variant of thathttp://grizzly.com/products/End-Mill-Grinding-Fixture/G9887
and am learning to use it - not totally successfully. *I'm just trying
2 flute end mills at the moment.

I'm still green as a Christmas tree to my surface grinder. *What's the
sequence / procedure to set the grinding jig up and use it? *How do
you get the gash so that the end mills center cut?

RWL

That one looks nicer than mine. I have to count the faint clicks over
the motor noise to index the next position.

On the record I have to write that an experienced machinist should
personally show you how to use the machine. I took night classes and
have worked in machine shops. Like other machine tools they can be
dangerous.

I never found any good detailed instructions for using this fixture. I
generally look at something and reconstruct the process used to make
it, then experiment until I can duplicate the result.

For centercutting I think you creep in with light cuts until it looks
right. The edge of the wheel inevitably breaks away a little so you
can't measure to it. I save new end mills for finishing and use mostly
a couple of old 4 flute non centercutting ones that have been
sharpened on the outside and are slightly undersize, which is fine for
roughing but makes it difficult to hit an exact dimension with them.
The surface grinder which caused that problem is also a fine solution
to it.

They will mill a blind pocket by moving the table sideways so they cut
a shallow ramp. You can see and feel when the center isn't cutting. If
the pocket is deep and narrow, drill a starting hole almost full
depth.

IMHO resharpening end mills is for cost-sensitive retired hobbyists.
When I'm on the clock I just grab another new one.

Jim Wilkins

Speaker surround re-foaming - any recommended or not-recommended suppliers? Bob F Electronics Repair 0 December 12th 08 12:44 AM
Cutting tool - endmill? R D S UK diy 8 October 17th 07 01:45 PM
router with endmill on steel mark Metalworking 6 September 2nd 07 12:45 PM
Bug mudda endmill Koz Metalworking 6 November 1st 05 02:31 PM
Endmill sharpening fixture? Gunner Metalworking 6 February 20th 04 08:48 PM