Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default When would you use round carbide inserts like this?

I'm wondering when you would use round carbide inserts like this?

BTW, I am a HSM and not in production.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SANDVIK-LATHE-TO...3A1%7C294%3A50

Thanks in advance,

Rod
San Francisco

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rodjava wrote:

I'm wondering when you would use round carbide inserts like this?

BTW, I am a HSM and not in production.

Rough turning. Better have a very rigid machine.

if your usenet reader can handle message id's.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-10, rodjava wrote:
I'm wondering when you would use round carbide inserts like this?

BTW, I am a HSM and not in production.

Simpler to deal with the auction number alone instead of trying
to cut and paste a three-line folded URL. :-)

Ebay item #180318066261

*If* you have a *big* and *rigid* enough machine (note that the
holder's shank is 1" square, and my 12x24" Clausing has a maximum of
5/8" square with the proper sized Aloris style quick-change toolpost and
holders), it can produce a finer finish with a coarser feed.

Or -- it can produce a nicely rounded fillet when turning up to
a shoulder to minimize stress risers which would appear from a square
shoulder.

At least that is how *I* would use them.

They're industrial cutters for high-volume work where tooling cost is an
issue. They're cheap because they can be re-indexed. As some have said,
they're used mostly for hogging.

But the shape lends itself to finish work, to, so you'll see some production
applications where they're used for both, in multi-pass operations with a
single cutter.

It's less common today than it was ten or twenty years ago to see
applications where the extra tool "edges" pay off over having dedicated
shapes for roughing and finishing. When I was reporting on wiper-type
inserts a few years back I often saw the wipers being used to replace round
inserts.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

But the shape lends itself to finish work, to, so you'll see some production
applications where they're used for both, in multi-pass operations with a
single cutter.

SNIP
To?
The editor made a mistake! Oh, how the mighty has typoed!
(We just won't mention my typing, OK?)

Insert chuckle and BSEG here.)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-15, Steve Ackman wrote:
In , on 11 Jan 2009
06:38:48 GMT, DoN. Nichols, wrote:

Simpler to deal with the auction number alone instead of trying
to cut and paste a three-line folded URL. :-)

Really? I find it much easier to just hit U (that's
upper case U), and hit ENTER over the appropriate URL.
Launches it with whatever browser you want ...
In .slrnrc I have,
set Xbrowser "links2 -g '%s' &"

I don't like mail programs and newsreaders knowing how to fire
up browsers on my systems. This is one of the ways that Windows systems
get infected with Malware. :-)

You really need to visit '?' more often, DoN. ;-)

Ebay item #180318066261

Then I'd have to open a browser manually, go to eBay,
and copy'n'paste the auction number in some search box.
Much more time consuming, and troublesome.

A shell script (called "ebay" which builds a generic URL and
appends the item number from the command line. So it is a very simple
cut-and-paste for me.

From the script:
URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=${1}"

If I don't give an auction number on the command line, it comes
up on a search page instead. Overall, it does what I want.

And these days, the Sun Blade 2000 with dual 1.2 GHz CPUs starts
opera quickly enough so there is no serious wait.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |