Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speaking of Drill Presses

I've had a Harbor Freight drill press for a number of years, and its ok for
wallowing out a hole in piece of material, but the head wobbles pretty bad.
Always has. Anybody got any tips on finding its replacement. Maybe
something I can actually afford? Best bang for the buck?

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I've had a Harbor Freight drill press for a number of years, and its ok
for wallowing out a hole in piece of material, but the head wobbles
pretty bad. Always has. Anybody got any tips on finding its
replacement. Maybe something I can actually afford? Best bang for the
buck?

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Hey Bob:

Would you log to the http://www.harborfreight.com site and locate the
drill press that comes closest to the one you have?

After downloading the manual, you could do some diagnostic work and
perhaps repair your press. Ferinstance, if you had this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...8999/38119.PDF

.... you could check to see that the three 'head lock setscrews'
referred to on page 10 were installed properly and snugged up
against the column after the head was resting properly on top.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

you can get a good grade industrial drill press for $75 to $100 if you look
around and are patient - you will then need to spend about the same amount
again buying new bearings and belts for it - and more if you want to make it
beautiful (see the Delta drill press on my "hobbies/tools" page for
example - www.wbnoble.com) - I had a taiwan special (pre harbor freight)
that this replaced - it is much nicer.

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've had a Harbor Freight drill press for a number of years, and its ok
for wallowing out a hole in piece of material, but the head wobbles pretty
bad. Always has. Anybody got any tips on finding its replacement. Maybe
something I can actually afford? Best bang for the buck?

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

That is a good idea. I seem to recall going through the setup on the press
when I got it, but I do not recall setting head screws. It has been quite a
number of years though. I will see if there is a manual for my press and
read it thoroughly. Thank you. I have already determined for precision
located holes I'll use my mini mill, but for some stuff its not practical.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just Checked: Speaking of Drill Presses

Winston,

Thanks. I just checked and they still my exact model. Downloading the
manual as I type. Thanks again.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
Winston,

Thanks. I just checked and they still my exact model. Downloading the
manual as I type. Thanks again.

Soitny. You're welcome.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

That is a good idea. I seem to recall going through the setup on the
press when I got it, but I do not recall setting head screws. It has
been quite a number of years though. I will see if there is a manual
for my press and read it thoroughly. Thank you. I have already
determined for precision located holes I'll use my mini mill, but for
some stuff its not practical.

It's hard to beat a drill press for low cost versatility.

--Winston

drill presses Max Woodworking 23 November 13th 06 05:27 PM
Speaking of Speed Ranges in Drill Presses... Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 0 March 18th 06 11:37 PM
drill presses anyone? William B Noble (don't reply to this address) Metalworking 0 March 11th 06 06:19 PM
Speaking of arbor presses Steven Metalworking 13 February 27th 04 04:52 AM
General Drill Presses Upscale Woodworking 4 August 27th 03 06:02 AM