Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bullet proof camera?

I use a 'game camera" as a security camera at the gate to my farm.
After having one stolen, I mounted the next in a locked steel box up on
a pole. Worked great until opening day of hunting season, when someone
shot the camera thru the (relatively) small hole left for the flash,
lens, IR detector etc. Now I see I need to make it reasonably bullet
proof, presumably 22lr bulletproof, from at least ONE direction.

A 1/2" piece of Lexan would stop the bullets, but would also probably
block the IR sensor that triggers the camera - a flimsy plastic freznel
lens. Lexan might also cause problems with the flash, especially if I
go to IR flash for stealth mode.

A mirror also seems to have possibilities, the camera could be 100%
bulletproof and the (cheap, replaceable) mirror would shatter. Again I
would expect problems with the IR trigger, can I get the IR trigger to
work with a mirror?

All ideas welcomed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 7:12 am, nick hull wrote:
[...]

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

The IR trigger will work with a front surface mirror. With a rear
surface mirror the normal glass will attenuate the IR to some extent.
It depends on the wavelength at which the trigger is operating. Near
IR (close to visible wavelengths around 1 um) you should be OK, at far
IR wavelengths (around 10 um) normal glass is very attenuative.

I have picked up front surface mirrors at surplus places for a couple
of dollars, Axman's in St. Paul Mn 1991. worth a look. Lacking that
most polished metals make a reasonable mirror for far IR. Can you use
a different mirror for the trigger and the picture?

CarlBoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 6:12*am, nick hull wrote:
[...]

Just install a remotely controlled rifle sighted in through your
monitoring system. When some idiot shoots out your decoy camera shoot
him. BTW a few hungry hogs can get rid of all the evidence in a short
time. Saves on feed costs too.

Dennis
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I think I'd mount a real camera inside a section of Schd 80 steel pipe
concealed with a brick veneer and use a dummy camera out in the open
to draw the fire. Set the dummy camera up in a way that it looks like
you have tried to protect it, say in a steel box so no one would
suspect that it is nothing more than a target
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

All ideas welcomed.

Nick

How about a mirror to bounce the camera and flash off. Mount the
camera in a secure box such that the bullet would have to do a 180 or
so to get the camera. That way all the shooter would get is the
mirror.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that nick hull
wrote on Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:12:54 -0600 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
[...]

One idea is to "conceal" a dummy, with the real one even more
concealed. That way, the dummy is seen, and targeted, and the real
one takes the pictures.

As much fun as the idea of putting an explosive charge in the
dummy one sounds, I'd still say it would be a bad idea. I mean, so
many officials have no sense of humor.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-12-12, nick hull wrote:

[ ... ]

A mirror also seems to have possibilities, the camera could be 100%
bulletproof and the (cheap, replaceable) mirror would shatter. Again I
would expect problems with the IR trigger, can I get the IR trigger to
work with a mirror?

Get a "first surface" mirror -- where the reflective coating is
on the side of the glass that the light is coming from, instead of on
the other side. This also eliminates the double-image with reflections
from the glass and stronger ones from the metallic coating.

And if it is thermal IR, instead of just near IR (sensing the
heat of the body instead of changes in reflected light), then a clean
sheet of aluminum makes a satisfactory mirror.

Presumably, you also need to set up an alarm which goes off in
your house when a bullet impacts the housing. Put a pizeoelectric cell
(like the sounder in small beepers) in contact with the metal, and watch
for voltage spikes from the cell. You should get a strong one when a .22
hits the surface of the metal.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nick hull wrote:
I use a 'game camera" as a security camera at the gate to my farm.
After having one stolen, I mounted the next in a locked steel box up on
a pole. Worked great until opening day of hunting season, when someone
shot the camera thru the (relatively) small hole left for the flash,
lens, IR detector etc. Now I see I need to make it reasonably bullet
proof, presumably 22lr bulletproof, from at least ONE direction.

How about wireless sending the picture to your
home computer?
Then you could email pics of the criminals to the
police while they are still nearby.
A little felony like willful destruction of
private property aggravated by unlawful firearm
use ought to cost them any further access to firearms.
A 1/2" piece of Lexan would stop the bullets, but would also probably
block the IR sensor that triggers the camera - a flimsy plastic freznel
lens. Lexan might also cause problems with the flash, especially if I
go to IR flash for stealth mode.

A mirror also seems to have possibilities, the camera could be 100%
bulletproof and the (cheap, replaceable) mirror would shatter. Again I
would expect problems with the IR trigger, can I get the IR trigger to
work with a mirror?

Might work. A first-surface mirror would work
fine and should be good for IR too.
It reverses the image, but you can flip it with
the computer.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
pyotr filipivich wrote:

As much fun as the idea of putting an explosive charge in the
dummy one sounds, I'd still say it would be a bad idea. I mean, so
many officials have no sense of humor.

Also a bad idea since the shooter would likely be 60' away; a claymore
near the parking site would be more effective

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Get a "first surface" mirror -- where the reflective coating is
on the side of the glass that the light is coming from, instead of on
the other side. This also eliminates the double-image with reflections
from the glass and stronger ones from the metallic coating.

And if it is thermal IR, instead of just near IR (sensing the
heat of the body instead of changes in reflected light), then a clean
sheet of aluminum makes a satisfactory mirror.

The problem with mirrors is that they would be out in the weather and
get rained on, as well as fog and dust. Might be worth a try.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

How about wireless sending the picture to your
home computer?

How to send it wireless over 700' range with a small hill in the way -
NOT line of sight ;( ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
nick hull wrote:
In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

How about wireless sending the picture to your
home computer?

How to send it wireless over 700' range with a small hill in the way -
NOT line of sight ;( ?

Good antennas.

Parabolics aimed at each other, 10' higher than the hill.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nick hull wrote:

In article ,
pyotr filipivich wrote:

As much fun as the idea of putting an explosive charge in the
dummy one sounds, I'd still say it would be a bad idea. I mean, so
many officials have no sense of humor.

Also a bad idea since the shooter would likely be 60' away; a claymore
near the parking site would be more effective

You think too small. A radio controlled platform that follows him to
his vehicle, then you puncture his gas tank while watching on the
onboard camera. If he tries ot take it out, out come the big saw blades,
and you proceed to shred his tires.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote on Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:10:24 -0500
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

nick hull wrote:

In article ,
pyotr filipivich wrote:

As much fun as the idea of putting an explosive charge in the
dummy one sounds, I'd still say it would be a bad idea. I mean, so
many officials have no sense of humor.

Also a bad idea since the shooter would likely be 60' away; a claymore
near the parking site would be more effective

You think too small. A radio controlled platform that follows him to
his vehicle, then you puncture his gas tank while watching on the
onboard camera. If he tries ot take it out, out come the big saw blades,
and you proceed to shred his tires.

Predator drone. You don't have to use the latest version ...

But what you want is one which gets his licence plates,then runs
the number, and does the old cyber war on him.

Bwahahahahahahaha!

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
nick hull wrote:

[...]

The usual IR detectors operate in the 3-15 micron (wavelength) band.
Some plastics easily pass this band. Polyethylene is what 3-15 micron
IR optics are usually made of. Front surface mirrors work, as do sheets
of polished aluminum. The best IR mirror surface is gold plate.

The search term is Pyroelectric Infra Red (PIR).

http://www.glolab.com/pirparts/infrared.html

Murata's pyroelectric detector catalog is good:
http://www.murata.com/catalog/s21e.pdf.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 12:24:24 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
wrote:

[...]

But you have to cut off the head and dispose of it seperately. Hogs
rarely eat the entire skull.

A nice 14" drywell about 30' deep should handle it for a lifetime,
particularly if quicklime is used as a lubricant when dropping down a
head. And you can fill it with concrete easily if anyone gets nosey.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

BTW a few hungry hogs can get rid of all the evidence in a short
time. Saves on feed costs too.

Dennis

But you have to cut off the head and dispose of it seperately. Hogs
rarely eat the entire skull.

A nice 14" drywell about 30' deep should handle it for a lifetime,
particularly if quicklime is used as a lubricant when dropping down a
head. And you can fill it with concrete easily if anyone gets nosey.

A couple of sticks, especially near a body of water, is generally
sufficient.