Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default About finding stuff in the shop; Real machinists need pay no attention.

I don't have a very big shop, but I spend 'way too much time looking
around for this or that tool when I need it.
I know pretty well where my favorite micrometer and dial caliper are,
and the location of the most popular inserts that I use.
The trouble comes when I have to locate a piece of tooling or a piece
of measuring equipment that I don't use all that often. The problem is
complicated by having cabinets and shelves both by the lathe and by the
mill, with some storage by the drill press, too. That's in addition to
the Kennedy 52611 chest that I got for Christmas last year.
One other thing that I probably shouldn't admit to: Sometimes, when
I can't find the thing I really should be using, I may make do with
something else, just because I don't want to go "on the hunt". This
practice can be a cause for poor quality, frustration and rework.

Soooooo---- I finally sat down and made a list of all of that kind of
tool. (I put it on a spreadsheet, because I always do lists that way).
Then, after alphabetizing the list and grouping similar items to make
them easier to find on the list, I put a simple description of their
location next to each one. The list is general enough that it's only
one page long at this time---- I KNOW where the drill bits and the QC
tool holders are.
I wasn't very scientific about the locations, but I don't have to be.
It's MY shop. ---No GPS-type coordinates.

The list lives in the lid of the Kennedy chest. I left room between
every entry, so I can add things as needed.

Examples:
------------
Reamers:
General: Brown (Kennedy chest) right,(side) 3(3rd small Drawer)
Over and Under: Brown, Large, 1, (1st Large drawer)

Mill tramming stuff: Brown, left, 1
: Over Mill, left, 3
The reason I tell you this: On Saturday, I had to finish a rather
finicky job and I used the list no less than 4 times! I'll bet I saved
myself at least 20 minutes.

I am satisfied that this is "a good thing",
But, if anybody on this NG has a better idea, I am open to it.

Pete Stanaitis

Finding a new excuse to go to the shop JD Woodturning 13 December 9th 08 04:35 PM
Home shop machinists ferd Metalworking 0 October 2nd 07 12:48 AM
FS in Alachua/Gainesville FL: huge volume shop stuff, tools supplieshardwares, other "guy stuff", 1, some, or all - PICKUP preferred dave Woodworking 0 January 30th 07 04:31 PM
Home shop machinists Metalworking 0 March 27th 06 11:13 AM
Are there any real techs on here that work for a real shop? Jack Electronics Repair 24 November 23rd 03 05:54 AM