Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Identifying metalworking parts

Hello all,

I'm new to this newsgroup so please bear with me.

I have a collection of metalworking tools, cutting wheels, bits, etc.
that I inherited from my wife's grandfather. I have no idea what most
of this stuff is called. I would like to sell most of it as I have no
use for any of it.

Can someone tell me where to go to have this stuff identified so I can
put it up for sale? Also, what is the best way to sell this stuff?
EBay? Local auction?

Any suggestions, help, thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

TF
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a collection of metalworking tools, cutting wheels, bits, etc.
that I inherited from my wife's grandfather. I have no idea what most
of this stuff is called. I would like to sell most of it as I have no
use for any of it.

Can someone tell me where to go to have this stuff identified so I can
put it up for sale? Also, what is the best way to sell this stuff?
EBay? Local auction?

It might help if you give people some rough idea of what part of the
country you are in. Local prices can vary widely based on supply and
demand.

You might get a better answer if you go into slightly more detail on
what you have: mostly just small stuff like drill bits and measuring
tools, or are there large powered machines as well? Are you talking a
small toolbox or two, or whole truckfuls? For a few small items, ebay
might be the way to go--if you take the time to research what you have
a little to get an accurate description, and take good photographs
(better than a cell phone camera, not all fuzzy or washed out, clearly
show markings, etc.). For lots of stuff or larger machines, a local
auction house may be a better option. You could also try listing what
you have on your local craigslist with a few clear photos...
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:58:36 -0600, ThFerret wrote:

Hello all,

I'm new to this newsgroup so please bear with me.

I have a collection of metalworking tools, cutting wheels, bits, etc.
that I inherited from my wife's grandfather. I have no idea what most
of this stuff is called. I would like to sell most of it as I have no
use for any of it.

Can someone tell me where to go to have this stuff identified so I can
put it up for sale?

Take pics, host them somewhere, post a link here. You'll get your answers.

Also, what is the best way to sell this stuff?
EBay? Local auction?

Any suggestions, help, thoughts are welcome.

None of it's worth anything at all. If you'll pay shipping, I'll take it
off your hands. Trust me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I can tell you that identifying, photographing and ebaying small lots of
machine tooling is is a lot of work for the gain you realize. I helped
with an estate last summer. After about a dozen auctions finished, I
offered the owner a flat price for the remainder so I wouldn't have to
ebay anymore of it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"_" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:58:36 -0600, ThFerret wrote:

Hello all,

I'm new to this newsgroup so please bear with me.

I have a collection of metalworking tools, cutting wheels, bits, etc.
that I inherited from my wife's grandfather. I have no idea what most
of this stuff is called. I would like to sell most of it as I have no
use for any of it.

Can someone tell me where to go to have this stuff identified so I can
put it up for sale?

Take pics, host them somewhere, post a link here. You'll get your
answers.

Also, what is the best way to sell this stuff?
EBay? Local auction?

Any suggestions, help, thoughts are welcome.

None of it's worth anything at all. If you'll pay shipping, I'll take it
off your hands. Trust me.

Since shipping to Australia is probably cheaper, send them to me instead.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:58:36 -0600, ThFerret wrote:

Hello all,

I'm new to this newsgroup so please bear with me.

I have a collection of metalworking tools, cutting wheels, bits, etc.
that I inherited from my wife's grandfather. I have no idea what most
of this stuff is called. I would like to sell most of it as I have no
use for any of it.

Can someone tell me where to go to have this stuff identified so I can
put it up for sale? Also, what is the best way to sell this stuff?
EBay? Local auction?

Any suggestions, help, thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

TF

Thanks every1. I'm getting our WEB page going now so I can get those
pics up shortly. I'll then post the link.

It's mostly small stuff...bits, wheels, handtools. Couple of toolboxes
full.

Thx again,

TF
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 25, 6:04*am, ThFerret wrote:
[...]

Wheels, huh! I bought a box of "wheels" at an auction several years
ago. I thought they were for grinding. Then when I got home I
discovered they were hard rubber, but had abrasive in the rubber. I
looked at them under a microscope and then discovered the abrasive was
diamond. I gave a couple to my brother for sharpening his wood working
tools, but I have never found a use for them. I have Goggled the
manufacture name and part numbers with no success.

So look at wheels carefully, they may be more than "wheels".

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message
[...]

Cratex-type rubber wheels are very good for shaping and sharpening
curved-blade tools, like big gouges and some wood-turning tools.

But I'm jolted that they would contain diamond abrasive. That sounds like it
would be a horrendously expensive wheel, because they wear pretty quickly.

Unless they were made for some obscure purpose. Are you sure they're
diamond?

--
Ed Huntress