Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding positioner for the working poor

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 04:12:13 GMT, the infamous BobH
scrawled the following:

Ignoramus22888 wrote:
When I weld some things, such as especially pipes, but other things
also, I often want to hold then relatively firmly in a certain
way. The limit would be something like 10 lbs weight. What I want is
that I want this holder to be flexible and hold stuff in any
position. I am not looking to buy a $30,000 5 ton welding positioner,
but more like a work holder that could hold stuff. Something like an
arm with ball joints. Numerous searches turned up nothing at all. Ay
ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pair that I built a couple of years ago, one powered and one
manual.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...sitioner_2.jpg

The grounded, spring-loaded lever is for grounding the hub to keep
arcing out of the bearing, but does it also act as an anti-rotation
device? Is it straight or toothed?

--
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
-- Jules Renard