Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Proven Alternative Energy

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:18:31 +0000 (UTC), Todd Rich
wrote:

In rec.crafts.metalworking jim wrote:

Todd Rich wrote:

(snip)
Others have pointed out quite well why even though the power is there, we
can't tap enough of it *now* to make a major difference.

This is only because most people are sheep and their brains work like sheep
brains.

As far as I'm aware, I haven't insulted anybody in this thread yet.
Vitriol isn't needed here.

You are utterly convinced that it is unrealistic to build
infrastructure that is the size of costa Rica so that everyone has their own
personal energy production devices.

You are aware are you not, that the newest generation of solar cells takes
about 4 years to generate the power needed to make them? Most of the
current crop though takes about 10 years? And a lot of toxic waste is
generated in their manufacture? And while the peak production is 2.8Gw,
the world average use is 15Tw, or about 5000 times more.

But at the same time you are also
convinced that it is not unrealistic to build infrastructure that cover an
area the size of Costa Rica (i. e. parking lots) so that everyone can have
their own personal energy consumption devices.

-jim

You might want to get your net.telepathy checked out, it seems to be
malfuctioning.

I have a 40 ft. sail boat and we (wife & I) live aboard in S. Thailand
for about half the time, pretty well divided between the sunny and
rainy seasons.

For all the talk about sustainable energy sources, and disregarding
the cost of manufacture, I can tell you that it is difficult, at best,
to generate sufficient power, on a year round basis, without a fossil
fuel generator, to live comfortably.

Certainly you can "camp out" with minimal electrical devices, no
T.V., hand pumped water, go to bed at sundown and get up at dawn, but
realistically, who wants put up with that sort of life style for any
length of time?

At this point in time (as the jargon has it) I doubt that living with
sustainable power the only source of power is a politically viable
solution.

Bruce-in-Bangkok