Too_Many_Tools

Default OT : Alternative Energy Discussion Sites For Homes

Does anyone have an idea where good discussion groups are for
alternative energy design and implementation for homes?

I am currently looking for information on which inverters to consider
and much of what I find is manufacturer's hype.

A side question...can large computer UPSs be used for inverters to
supply a house's minimum requirements? It is not as simple a question
as it first seems.

Thanks for any leads you can offer.

TMT

Dave Hinz

On 10 Jun 2005 08:47:39 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Does anyone have an idea where good discussion groups are for
alternative energy design and implementation for homes?

alt.energy.homepower is tolerable once you filter out the trolls.
They're easy enough to spot. Lots of smart folks over there.
Ian Stirling

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Does anyone have an idea where good discussion groups are for
alternative energy design and implementation for homes?

I am currently looking for information on which inverters to consider
and much of what I find is manufacturer's hype.

A side question...can large computer UPSs be used for inverters to
supply a house's minimum requirements? It is not as simple a question
as it first seems.

I'm answering from a UK perspective, where we have only 240V.
Fix it with a cable to the mains.
Then fit a circuit to the house, to sockets designated for emergency use.
(in the UK, I'd use the alternative "round pin" plugs)
Job done.

wmbjk

wrote:

Does anyone have an idea where good discussion groups are for
alternative energy design and implementation for homes?

I am currently looking for information on which inverters to consider
and much of what I find is manufacturer's hype.

A side question...can large computer UPSs be used for inverters to
supply a house's minimum requirements? It is not as simple a question
as it first seems.

Thanks for any leads you can offer.

TMT

alt.energy.homepower, see you there.

In the meantime, here are various links I had on file, some may be out
of date.

(volunteer sites)

http://www.green-trust.org a very comprehensive renewable energy site
by Steve Spence. Links to just about everything.

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/klemen/ The FAQs for the AWEA, by Mike
Klemen. Categorized wind energy posts, detailed production and
maintenance records for several different turbines. The place for wind
power information.

http://www.redrok.com/main.htm many useful RE resources by Duane C.
Johnson. Detailed project plans

http://geocities.com/solarliving/ lots of good info from Gigawatt

http://www.egroups.com/group/awea-wind-home American Wind Energy
discussion group

http://www.ece.villanova.edu/~nick/usenet/ An archive of Nick Pine's
renewable energy Usenet posts. A wealth of innovative ideas, most
described in technical terms.

http://offgrid.homestead.com/OffGridersPage.html Several off-grid
homes. Lots of different locations and approaches

http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/energy/pv_faq.html Answers to
frequently asked questions about solar

(commercial sites)

http://www.homepower.com/ Home Power magazine. Archive of excellent
articles

http://www.nrel.gov/homer/ System sizing software

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/ol/climate/...eproducts.html NOAA climate
publications

Radio telephone solutions http://www.thinroute.com/products.html

www.direcpc.com Direcpc Satellite Internet access

http://www.sips.org/ Information about structural insulated panels

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/2/type.asp Xantrex Technology Inc.
Manufacturers of inverters, etc.

http://www.exeltech.com Exeltech, manufacturers of 'true' sine wave
inverters

http://www.windenergy.com/PRODUCTS/whisperh80.html South West
Windpower, makers of Air and Whisper wind generators

http://www.solar-electric.com/ Comprehensive web site of solar power
equipment

http://www.sunelec.com/ best prices sometimes found here

Wayne
MetalHead

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

A side question...can large computer UPSs be used for inverters to
supply a house's minimum requirements? It is not as simple a question
as it first seems.

I have seen it done and big UPS's can be had fairly cheaply. The big
drawback is that big UPS's run very high battery voltages to keep the
switching currents down. It's been several years, but I think that the
setup I saw ran 150V or maybe 180V of battery voltage by connecting many
batteries in series. Charging this from anything but the grid or a
genset is a pain.

Bob

Vaughn

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
A side question...can large computer UPSs be used for inverters to
supply a house's minimum requirements?

Short answer: Yes, and sometimes you can get them cheap or free.

It is not as simple a question
as it first seems.

That means that you have already thought of the long answer. You have to
maintain the batteries, some waste prodigious amounts of energy, and some will
not work well with power from a homeowner-style generator. Also wiring to code
becomes an expensive issue.

Vaughn

Thanks for any leads you can offer.

TMT

jk

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

A side question...can large computer UPSs be used for inverters to
supply a house's minimum requirements? It is not as simple a question
as it first seems.

Not if you want to parallel with the utility. FOr standalone, you
could.
jk

Oil/Pellet Stoves? Bill LaFleur Home Ownership 285 November 18th 04 09:33 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM