Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Finishes on aluminum

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 02:09:09 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

Awl --

I'm not quite ready for anodizing (not quite enough quantity for economy),
and am wondering what other finishes can be placed on aluminum in a shop,
without sending it out.

In particular, are there any rouge-type materials that can be polished
*into* aluminum that will help protect it, heighten any luster, etc.

I would hope to be able load scotchbrite with a rouge-type material, and
polish. I would like to avoid, for now, any lacquering/spraying.

Along these lines, there is a tumbling process by a company in Westchester,
NY with hyooge circular vibratory tumblers, and a (I think) proprietary
additive that gives a zinc/galvanized type finish to aluminum.

Compared to polished or anodized alum, it's a little funky/cobby, somewhat
interesting, but not quite suitable for my purposes. Also it wasn't all
that cheap!

But, it *does* seem to protect the aluminum surface, seems to make it
harder, more slippery.

But I'm hoping for something I can apply, on a limited production basis,
hopefully simultaneously in the mechanical polishing process.

Idears?

you can anodise on the desktop in about an hour.

try a google search for "ockleshaw anodising"
it will get you an article relating how anodising can be done simply.

ordinary old Brasso is an excellent aluminium polish. on some alloys
the polish will remain chrome like for a number of years.
use a piece of flanelette not scotchbrite if you want a shine with the
brasso.

Stealth Pilot

Cast aluminum with embeded 6061-T6 aluminum rods Ink Maker Metalworking 7 August 16th 07 06:00 AM
Hight Gloss Finishes for on top of oil based finishes? That are easy to use redice Woodworking 18 June 8th 06 04:39 PM
U.S. tests new ceramic armor made of aluminum oxynitride (clear aluminum) Gunner Asch Metalworking 7 December 25th 05 02:31 PM
Finishes [email protected] Woodworking 5 June 17th 05 05:03 AM
Oil Finishes JeffB Woodworking 20 April 11th 05 04:55 PM