Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metric threading on 12x36 import lathe (Grizzly G4003) Options

Back in May I published exhaustive change-gear tables for the Enco, Harbor
Freight, and Grizzly 12 x 36 lathes. I've updated the Grizzly version to
include its 86/91 step gear idler option:

http://www.truetex.com/grizzly-12x36-pitch.htm
http://www.truetex.com/grizzly-12x36-gear.htm

These are for the Grizzly G4003, not the G4003G "gunsmith" version.

Original thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...80ddf5442cd566
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 14, 4:10*pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Back in May I published exhaustive change-gear tables for the Enco, Harbor
Freight, and Grizzly 12 x 36 lathes. *I've updated the Grizzly version to
include its 86/91 step gear idler option:

*http://www.truetex.com/grizzly-12x36-pitch.htm
*http://www.truetex.com/grizzly-12x36-gear.htm

These are for the Grizzly G4003, not the G4003G "gunsmith" version.

Original thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...msg/2080ddf544...

Hi Richard,
I don't know if you've visited the yahoo group dedicated to these
lathes: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/12x36importlathes/
They might appreciate this information as well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Any particular reason to believe that the G4003G (gunsmith) lathe would be
different from the G4003 ? Per their respective manuals, both include a
mounted 86/91 idler, a mounted 60T change gear, and the same selection of
accessory change gears. The metric threading charts in the manuals appear
to be the same.

David Merrill

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
snip ... I've updated the Grizzly version to
include its 86/91 step gear idler option:

These are for the Grizzly G4003, not the G4003G "gunsmith" version.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Merrill writes:

Any particular reason to believe that the G4003G (gunsmith) lathe
would be different from the G4003 ? Per their respective manuals,
both include a mounted 86/91 idler, a mounted 60T change gear, and the
same selection of accessory change gears. The metric threading charts
in the manuals appear to be the same.

Yes. It looked to me on casual inspection of the respective manuals that on
the G4003G either of the F and G gears could engage either of the 86 or 91
tooth idler (that is, 4 possible combinations), while on the G4003 that F
was always on 91 while G could engage either 86 or 91 (that is, 2 possible
combinations).

On the Enco and Harbor Freight versions there is no step on the idler, just
one possible engagement 80T for both F and G, that is, a unity ratio.

Thus the Enco/HF idler provides no additional possible ratios, the G4003
idler doubles them, and the G4003G quadruples them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Denis G. writes:

I don't know if you've visited the yahoo group dedicated to these
lathes: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/12x36importlathes/
They might appreciate this information as well.

Yes, now that you remind me about that.

Metric threading on 12x36 import lathe (HF 33274, Enco 110-2075) Richard J Kinch Metalworking 1 May 10th 08 06:35 AM
Rockwell 11x36 Lathe and metric threading MetalHead Metalworking 7 January 17th 06 02:43 AM
Metric threading on lathe Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 16 August 4th 05 05:57 PM
metric threading rhncue Metalworking 14 March 22nd 05 06:56 PM
FA-nearly new HF 7x10 lathe bed & NEW metric threading kit Cliff Knight Metalworking 4 December 15th 03 04:13 AM