Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
IEB IEB is offline

Default Ultra thin screwdriver

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:42:20 +0000, Christopher Tidy
did e-scribe thusly...:

I am looking for a flat screwdriver with an exceptionally thin blade,
for use on clock mechanisms. The blade needs to be at least 3/16" long,
but no more than 25/1000" thick.

I know I can try grinding my own, but I'm not convinced I can do it
neatly.

25thou isn't particularly fine, or "exceptionally thin", in terms of a
watch screwdriver... (0.635mm is almost 'heavy') ...so any of the cheap
packs of those (which are usually somewhat 'clunky' when compared to
professional sets) should give you want you want. The last time I was in
the 'anything for a pound' store they were selling cheap sets of "watch
screwdrivers".. if it's still a bit thick then simply stone it you don't
need a grinder as such.
One of the first things trained horologists learn is how to make their
own screwdrivers, if you're going to be working on clocks I would suggest
such an exercise would be time well spent.