Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A valuable lesson on magnetism

Rare earth magnets are powerless against chips stuck in foot.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating

Wait a moment here.

I have used one successfully.

I stuck a needle onto a rare earth magnet with Super glue. It made it
MUCH easier to hold the needle while I dug the chip out. :-)

Lewis.

*****
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:50:35 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus31919
scrawled the following:

Rare earth magnets are powerless against chips stuck in foot.

So pick up a surplus MRI machine, Ig.

One shouldn't be very hard for -you- to find.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31919 wrote:

Rare earth magnets are powerless against chips stuck in foot.

I always head into a machine shop in flop flops and a tie.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 13, 6:50*pm, Ignoramus31919 ignoramus31...@NOSPAM.
31919.invalid wrote:
Rare earth magnets are powerless against chips stuck in foot.

Or worse, are powerful. You want a lens (or stereo microscope)
and demagnetized forceps. A magnetic field is likely to
exert torque, and not in a pleasant way.

My usual problem is in/about the fingers, for a foot chip there's
some benefit to a confederate to do the lens+forceps handling.
Got a glass splinter in my foot once, couldn't see it at ALL
and it stayed in a week before I even knew something needed
to be removed...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus31919" wrote in message

| Rare earth magnets are powerless against chips stuck in foot.

So, what is NOT powerless against chips stuck on foot? How stuck are the
chips in the foot that you talking about in that personal observation?
To give special mention to rare earth magnets, I can't really see the
eye-opening revelation in your statement. :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31919 wrote:

Rare earth magnets are powerless against chips stuck in foot.

I eat steaks for iron, chips are cheaper.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Ignoramus31919 wrote:

Rare earth magnets are powerless against chips stuck in foot.

I eat steaks for iron, chips are cheaper.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

I eat fish and chips, and make swarf with my tools!

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:50:35 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus31919
scrawled the following:

Rare earth magnets are powerless against chips stuck in foot.

So pick up a surplus MRI machine, Ig.

One shouldn't be very hard for -you- to find.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
remedy." -- Ernest Benn

When I had an MRI, they asked if I worked with metal, grinding etc, they
then took and xray of my eyes. Small metal particles go travelling in the
MRI magnetic field and do nasty things to eyes. Maybe something to keep in
mind!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that "Den"
wrote on Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:40:11 +0800 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:50:35 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus31919
scrawled the following:

Rare earth magnets are powerless against chips stuck in foot.

So pick up a surplus MRI machine, Ig.

One shouldn't be very hard for -you- to find.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong
remedy." -- Ernest Benn

When I had an MRI, they asked if I worked with metal, grinding etc, they
then took and xray of my eyes. Small metal particles go travelling in the
MRI magnetic field and do nasty things to eyes. Maybe something to keep in
mind!

Or just stay away from machining steel or iron. Or other magnetic
metals. :-)

All seriousness aside, another thing to be aware of before getting
an MRI is the presence of extensive tattoos. Some of the inks have
enough iron in them that a magnet can be used to move a drop of the
ink around on a piece wax paper. That can have some interesting (and
painful) repercussions, especially if the patient has the "tribal"
sort, where large patches are inked solid.
I think the article mentioned heating of the ink enough to cause
burns.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed