Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressor makeup tanks

Awl --

My latest realization is that you can compensate for low cfm with tank
volume, to some extent. Feel free to correct this.

What are some good (read: safe *and* free) options for makeup tanks?
Propane -- as in BBQ? Oxygen? Acetylene? Others? I see many
substantial-sized tanks in the dump that look neither Ox nor acet, thicker
than your 5-ft tallish Ox tanks. Iny idear what these are?

One problem I can foresee is finding/making adapters to these tanks, as I'm
pretty sure there are no standard plumbing threads, no adapters that I am
aware of. How does one attack this problem?

I hesitate to have welding done on a tank, altho I think with piddling 120
psi air in an oxy/acet rated in the 1,000s of psi, mebbe welding "welded
couplings" is not so dicey.
--
DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DrollTroll" wrote in message
Awl --

My latest realization is that you can compensate for low cfm with tank
volume, to some extent. Feel free to correct this.

What are some good (read: safe *and* free) options for makeup tanks?
Propane -- as in BBQ? Oxygen? Acetylene? Others? I see many
substantial-sized tanks in the dump that look neither Ox nor acet, thicker
than your 5-ft tallish Ox tanks. Iny idear what these are?

One problem I can foresee is finding/making adapters to these tanks, as
I'm pretty sure there are no standard plumbing threads, no adapters that I
am aware of. How does one attack this problem?

I hesitate to have welding done on a tank, altho I think with piddling 120
psi air in an oxy/acet rated in the 1,000s of psi, mebbe welding "welded
couplings" is not so dicey.
--
DT

Just acquire an old compressor and use the tank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DrollTroll wrote:
substantial-sized tanks in the dump that look neither Ox nor acet, thicker
than your 5-ft tallish Ox tanks. Iny idear what these are?

100lb propane tanks are about 25 gal. 4-1/2' tall, 15" diam, more or
less. Do the math - is that 25 gal?

One problem I can foresee is finding/making adapters to these tanks, as I'm
pretty sure there are no standard plumbing threads, ...

Propane are standard: 3/4" NPT.

Bob
--
Nota for President
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I managed to pickup a 625 gallon propane tank to gang onto my
compressor. It had a bad regulator and the guy didn't want to pay to
have it repaired, so I picked it up cheap. I welded some bigger pads
on the feet and added casters so that I could move it around the small
shop I was in at the time. Biggest problem was finding some 2"
fittings to connect to it. I now have a IR 254 compressor on a 120
gallon tank to feed it. It's not all installed yet as we just moved
and shop isn't up yet.

Craig C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DrollTroll" wro0te: My latest realization is that you can compensate for
low cfm with tank
volume, to some extent. Feel free to correct this. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, yes and no. I'm not correcting this, I am "clarifying" it. Adding
tank capacity does not increase the air output of the compressor, so if you
use a tool, or combination of tools that exceeds the capacity of the
compressor, the average on-time vs. off-time will be the same. What changes
is the time you can run until the compressor turns on. But it also
proportionately increases the length of time you have to wait for the
pressure to come back up. If you choose not to wait, and just let the
compressor try to keep up, the larger tanks don't help.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

DrollTroll wrote:
substantial-sized tanks in the dump that look neither Ox nor acet, thicker
than your 5-ft tallish Ox tanks. Iny idear what these are?

100lb propane tanks are about 25 gal. 4-1/2' tall, 15" diam, more or
less. Do the math - is that 25 gal?

One problem I can foresee is finding/making adapters to these tanks, as I'm
pretty sure there are no standard plumbing threads, ...

Propane are standard: 3/4" NPT.

They are if you can get the valve unscrewed, which is no easy task.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 21:31:49 -0400, "ATP*"
wrote:

[...]

Correct. Lots..LOTS of them out there.

I have two 80 gallon tanks as secondary air tanks, besides the 120
gallon one under my Quincy.

I used to do a lot of DA sanding and grinding on boats

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What changes is the time you can run until the compressor turns on. But
it also proportionately increases the length of time you have to wait for
the pressure to come back up. If you choose not to wait, and just let the
compressor try to keep up, the larger tanks don't help.

I have a large compressor at home.
I am planning on attaching an old CO2 tank to mine as a primary tank with a
shut-off vale to the big one, so when I fire it up to only fill a tire or
blow something off, I don't have to filll the big tank.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-09, Stupendous Man wrote:
What changes is the time you can run until the compressor turns on. But
it also proportionately increases the length of time you have to wait for
the pressure to come back up. If you choose not to wait, and just let the
compressor try to keep up, the larger tanks don't help.

I have a large compressor at home.
I am planning on attaching an old CO2 tank to mine as a primary tank with a
shut-off vale to the big one, so when I fire it up to only fill a tire or
blow something off, I don't have to filll the big tank.

Does your big compressor leak?

If you fix the leaks, you have a chance of always having air
available.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Does your big compressor leak?

The coupler to the reel leaks a little, but I don't often use it between
weekends and open the drain occasionally.