Dust Boy

Default Air Compressor Tanks

My old portable compressor died yesterday. I've been looking at the emglo i.e.: Dewalt portable air compressors they have a single 4 gallon tank and the two stacked 2 gallon tanks what are the advantages or disadvantages of the different designs? Looked through Google but didn't find any specific discussion on tanks.
AL

Having two tanks requires you to drain condensation from two tanks. Having
one tank requires you to drain only one. But don't let that be a deciding
factor. Other than that it is personal preference. As for Emglo, their
smaller compressors are made in Mexico now that Dewalt/B&D bought them.

"Dust Boy" wrote in message
My old portable compressor died yesterday. I've been looking at the emglo
i.e.: Dewalt portable air compressors they have a single 4 gallon tank and
the two stacked 2 gallon tanks what are the advantages or disadvantages of
the different designs? Looked through Google but didn't find any specific
discussion on tanks.

Lawrence A. Ramsey

Someone just wrote that the Senco runs super-quietly. Might look at
it.

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 09:34:57 -0800, "Dust Boy"
wrote:

My old portable compressor died yesterday. I've been looking at the emglo i.e.: Dewalt portable air compressors they have a single 4 gallon tank and the two stacked 2 gallon tanks what are the advantages or disadvantages of the different designs? Looked through Google but didn't find any specific discussion on tanks.

Roy Boyden

"AL" wrote in message
Having two tanks requires you to drain condensation from two tanks.

Having
one tank requires you to drain only one.

Actually, on the ones with stacked tanks, condensate accumulates in the
lower tank, only requiring draining the one.
Cheers
Roy

Michael Baglio

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 17:50:38 GMT, "AL"
wrote:

Having two tanks requires you to drain condensation from two tanks. Having
one tank requires you to drain only one.

???
They're _connected,_ you know... no matter which one you have you
still turn only one petcock to drain the tank(s). The Emglo,
(Pronounced "de-WALT"), dual-2-gallon configuration drains from a
single petcock located at the bottom of the lower tank.

But don't let that be a deciding factor.

Since it isn't one, it shouldn't be.

Other than that it is personal preference.

Other than what?

As for Emglo, their
smaller compressors are made in Mexico now that Dewalt/B&D bought them.

To the original poster: The DeWalt you are considering is a fine
compressor. Made in Mexico or not, it's one of the few compressors in
it's class that hasn't donned Birkenstocks, started crunching granola,
and turned "oil-less." I consider mine to be _very_ quiet, and it has
performed flawlessly through all the abuse I've put it through during
the construction of my new shop. -- (drive-by neener)

Hope this helps,
Michael

AL

I realize the two tanks are connected but the Hitachi and Bostitch
twin-stack compressors have TWO drain valves--one on each tank. I'm not
sure about the Dewalt/Emglo. The Bostitch is a bit clever in that it has a
single cable connecting the two valves. When you pull the cable, both
valves open at the same time.

juan fandango

"Dust Boy" wrote in message
My old portable compressor died yesterday. I've been looking at the emglo
i.e.: Dewalt portable air compressors they have a single 4 gallon tank and
the two stacked 2 gallon tanks what are the advantages or disadvantages of
the different designs? Looked through Google but didn't find any specific
discussion on tanks.

What you should look for is ASME rated tank or tanks for safety. Avoid tanks
that have refrigerator grade copper tubing from the compressor to the tank.
Make sure it is good tubing. Check for air volume @ PSI so you can run air
tools other than a brad nailer.

Brett B. Bonner

Dust Boy wrote:

My old portable compressor died yesterday. I've been looking at the
emglo i.e.: Dewalt portable air compressors they have a single 4 gallon
tank and the two stacked 2 gallon tanks what are the advantages or
disadvantages of the different designs? Looked through Google but
didn't find any specific discussion on tanks.

No performance difference; personal preference, really.

I really liked the Dewalt single-tank design: it's compact and easy to
carry around, with no parts sticking out waiting to get bent/broken.
But it's expensive for its class, and the reality is I don't move my
compressor all that often. Instead I bought the Hitachi, which cost
about 40% less. No complaints whatsoever. Refills fast, reasonably
quiet, oiled cylinder, "luggable" when necessary.

-Brett

Tim Douglass

wrote:

Having two tanks requires you to drain condensation from two tanks. Having
one tank requires you to drain only one.

???
They're _connected,_ you know... no matter which one you have you
still turn only one petcock to drain the tank(s). The Emglo,
(Pronounced "de-WALT"), dual-2-gallon configuration drains from a
single petcock located at the bottom of the lower tank.

I have a stacked dual tank compressor (cheap brand, can't recall at
moment) and it has drains on both tanks. I get condensation from both
of them, too.
Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com