Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Inneresting Baldor Motor

Awl --

Did Baldor munge a 5 hp 3 ph into a big-assed 5 hp *single phase*??
Nice motor, of course.

But with *3* large oil-filled caps, like what you would find on an rpc.

AND it's reversible!

Which leads me to believe it is actually a 3 ph. motor, with starting caps.

Four wires are in the junction box, two thick, two thin, with a thick/thin
tied together.
I think you reverse the motor by exchanging the two thick wires, just as on
a 3ph, and apropos of reversing a statically converted motor, as in the rpc
ganging thread.

A likely scenario???

Too bad they didn't bring out more wires, so's you could have the option of
using it as an unencumbered 3 ph motor.

Funny thing: three wires are coming from the caps to the motor.
Poss. distributed across L1-L3 *and* L2-L3?? I don't think one wire is a
ground, didn't ring anything out yet.

--
DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DrollTroll" wrote:

[...]

Uncle had a monster 1 ph 5hp motor from an aircompressor. TEFC, capacitor bank, voltage
level contactor for playing with the caps. It was running his babit bearing monster table
saw until things got flaky.

I tried to convince him that I could replace the voltage level contactor with a timer and
all would be well but he decided to buy some pos 3 phase motor and make a rotophase.

I think I told the story of figuring out the unmarked connections of his scrap yard bring
home.

Anyway, now he has a 10 hp idler, a 5 hp open frame motor driving the saw, he recouped
part of his expense by selling the monster 1ph 5hp to the scrap yard. Btw, the 1 phase
was much heavier.

Your idea is plausible if the thin wires are only bring in the caps.

Sure wish I could have got uncle to go with a timing relay, the only one I had, I gave to
my brother which currently does a delay off on the exhaust fan in each of the crappers.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller