Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fans of "How it's Made"

http://www.shopfloor.org/category/coolstuffbeingmade/

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message

http://www.shopfloor.org/category/coolstuffbeingmade/

--Winston

(...)

I love that program, and it always answers questions I have had on "How do
they get that to do that."

I find this stuff endlessly fascinating.
Here's the Motherlode:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=NAMvideo

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
http://www.shopfloor.org/category/coolstuffbeingmade/

--Winston

I retired from Teamster's Local 631 in Las Vegas. We used to set up
conventions. We used to have the "Pack Show", a show for automated machines
of all types. It was a lot of fun setting up, because I always worked
rigging, and getting those components together was fun and challenging. But
once they were together, watching them work was awesome. Most operated at a
speed that could only be called a blur. Then they would slow it down to see
how it was actually done.

I love that program, and it always answers questions I have had on "How do
they get that to do that."

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

?Why does this video have so much lag?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ3PJ...timate-rifles/

?And yet there is not lag with this one?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIno...eature=related
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Clark Magnuson wrote:
?Why does this video have so much lag?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ3PJ...timate-rifles/

?And yet there is not lag with this one?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIno...eature=related

In a word: Timing

I looked at both just now and saw no delays.
Of course it's 9:30 on a Sunday morning.
I expect them both to be pretty jerky by Monday at 10:00 AM.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Clark Magnuson wrote:
?Why does this video have so much lag?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ3PJ...timate-rifles/

?And yet there is not lag with this one?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIno...eature=related

In a word: Timing

I looked at both just now and saw no delays.
Of course it's 9:30 on a Sunday morning.
I expect them both to be pretty jerky by Monday at 10:00 AM.

--Winston

It still runs for 6 seconds and lags for 4 seconds for me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Clark Magnuson wrote:
(...)

It still runs for 6 seconds and lags for 4 seconds for me.

"...bansners-ultimate-rifles: is still working for me without lag from:
http://www.aioe.org/

I'm in Silicon Valley California.

Perhaps your local server is choking? Can you create a new newsgroup
account pointing to http://www.aioe.org/
and see if that speeds things up?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-05, Winston wrote:
Clark Magnuson wrote:
?Why does this video have so much lag?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ3PJ...timate-rifles/

?And yet there is not lag with this one?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIno...eature=related

In a word: Timing

I looked at both just now and saw no delays.
Of course it's 9:30 on a Sunday morning.
I expect them both to be pretty jerky by Monday at 10:00 AM.

But there is another factor to consider. The first video
connects to youtube, and then from there connects to www.shopfloor.org
to get the actual video -- so you have two systems which you have to
access, doubling the chance that one of them is busy. If you look
closely at that URL, it can be broken into two URLs. I'll copy it down
here and break it for you:

This one connects to the other -- note how it ends with "url=".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ3PJtwHt4o&eurl=

And here is what followed the "url=" to give you the actual URL where
the video lives.

http://www.shopfloor.org/2008/08/02/...timate-rifles/

I proved this to myself by entering just the second part into my
browser, and was able to view the video with no problems (near midnight
on Sunday, FWIW.)

I wonder how common it is for youtube to link through to another
site as they did here?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

But there is another factor to consider. The first video
connects to youtube, and then from there connects to www.shopfloor.org
to get the actual video -- so you have two systems which you have to
access, doubling the chance that one of them is busy. If you look
closely at that URL, it can be broken into two URLs. I'll copy it down
here and break it for you:

This one connects to the other -- note how it ends with "url=".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ3PJtwHt4o&eurl=

And here is what followed the "url=" to give you the actual URL where
the video lives.

http://www.shopfloor.org/2008/08/02/...timate-rifles/

I proved this to myself by entering just the second part into my
browser, and was able to view the video with no problems (near midnight
on Sunday, FWIW.)

Thanks, DoN. I suspected that. Bottom line is a net bandwidth issue, I think.

I wonder how common it is for youtube to link through to another
site as they did here?

Apparently links are very popular.
Have a look he
http://www.youtube.com/user/NAMvideo

It gives one the impression that the NAM videos are hosted by youtube directly.
It seems reasonable that they would have youtube do what they do best.
Makes me wonder just how complicated this link structure could get:

Youtube linking to NAM shopfloor.org linking back to youtube?

Say it isn't so!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 21:24:30 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

But there is another factor to consider. The first video
connects to youtube, and then from there connects to www.shopfloor.org
to get the actual video -- so you have two systems which you have to
access, doubling the chance that one of them is busy. If you look
closely at that URL, it can be broken into two URLs. I'll copy it down
here and break it for you:

This one connects to the other -- note how it ends with "url=".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ3PJtwHt4o&eurl=

And here is what followed the "url=" to give you the actual URL where
the video lives.

http://www.shopfloor.org/2008/08/02/...timate-rifles/

I proved this to myself by entering just the second part into my
browser, and was able to view the video with no problems (near midnight
on Sunday, FWIW.)

(Midnight Sunday is a real high traffic time, isn't it, DoN?) But,
yeah, parsing URLs does cut out some of the middlemen and is a Good
Thing(tm) in any case. Good call.

Thanks, DoN. I suspected that. Bottom line is a net bandwidth issue, I think.

I wonder how common it is for youtube to link through to another
site as they did here?

Apparently links are very popular.
Have a look he
http://www.youtube.com/user/NAMvideo

It gives one the impression that the NAM videos are hosted by youtube directly.
It seems reasonable that they would have youtube do what they do best.
Makes me wonder just how complicated this link structure could get:

Youtube linking to NAM shopfloor.org linking back to youtube?

Say it isn't so!

Very possible, but add to that: 'lebenty seven servers in between,
relaying the video to your server between countries/states/counties.
That's an everyday "web" fact of life, Win mon.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques related in his avuncular manner:
On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 21:24:30 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Youtube linking to NAM shopfloor.org linking back to youtube?

Say it isn't so!

Very possible, but add to that: 'lebenty seven servers in between,
relaying the video to your server between countries/states/counties.
That's an everyday "web" fact of life, Win mon.

Yup, and the bandwidth of those servers, on average.

What I know about TCP/IP you could put in a thimble and still have
room for a medium size battle ship. I suspect that packets are routed
to maximize throughput & minimize latentcy. The frequency of video
interruptions is inversely proportional to the average 'width' of the
internet "pipe", I conjecture.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:58:45 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques related in his avuncular manner:
On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 21:24:30 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Youtube linking to NAM shopfloor.org linking back to youtube?

Say it isn't so!

Very possible, but add to that: 'lebenty seven servers in between,
relaying the video to your server between countries/states/counties.
That's an everyday "web" fact of life, Win mon.

Yup, and the bandwidth of those servers, on average.

What I know about TCP/IP you could put in a thimble and still have
room for a medium size battle ship. I suspect that packets are routed
to maximize throughput & minimize latentcy. The frequency of video
interruptions is inversely proportional to the average 'width' of the
internet "pipe", I conjecture.

--Winston

What I found cool is listening to music online through separate ISPs.
Sometimes one computer would be ahead and then loose out to the other.
Guess they get rerouted and delays are noticeable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That sort of thing is quite noticeable in the UK where we have analogue
and digital television transmissions. If you have a digital TV playing
in one room and an analogue TV in another viewing the same channel the
digital has a few second lag in the transmission.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:14:51 -0500, Sunworshipper Sunworshipper
wrote:

What I found cool is listening to music online through separate ISPs.
Sometimes one computer would be ahead and then loose out to the other.
Guess they get rerouted and delays are noticeable.

I get the same effect when SWMBO happens to be watching the same TV
channel as I am watching. My TV is directly on cable and audio reaches
my ears through wireless earphones, while her signal goes through a
"PVR" box and audio through speakers on the wings of her chair, all
this in a 10 x 12' room. Her audio lags mine by about a second or
more.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-10-08, Gerald Miller wrote:

[ ... ]

I get the same effect when SWMBO happens to be watching the same TV
channel as I am watching. My TV is directly on cable and audio reaches
my ears through wireless earphones, while her signal goes through a
"PVR" box and audio through speakers on the wings of her chair, all
this in a 10 x 12' room. Her audio lags mine by about a second or
more.

[ ... ]

You want fun -- try talking (or reading a script) while
earphones are feeding into your ears your own speech with a second or
two delay. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN:

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I made my own "hows it made" and then the real Hows it's Made showed how to
make a brass instrument:

Here's mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPvLUhdwpaE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

LLBrown wrote:
I made my own "hows it made" and then the real Hows it's Made showed how to
make a brass instrument:

Here's mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPvLUhdwpaE

Bravo! Encore!