Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Military surplus compressor

Greetings. About six months ago I bought a Curtis-Toledo engine
driven compressor from an auction at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. I don't
remember the specs but it's a 2 stage compressor with about a 12HP
Briggs & Stratton engine. It looks like what those big rig road
service trucks use.

I never got around to fiddling with it until now. The flywheel cage
was dented and impinging on the compressor flywheel so we removed it
to be straightened. We have yet to attempt to start it because the
engine's missing the gas tank and the air cleaner. The compressor is
also missing the air cleaner.

I decided to remove the V belts so that we can start the engine
independently of the compressor. Upon doing this I discovered that
the engine rotates freely but the compressor is locked solid.

I imagine this means that there's hope for the engine but that the
compressor is toast. I squirted some WD-40 into the air cleaner
cavity on the underside of the compressor head in hopes that it will
dribble down and free it up.

My presumption is that the compressor is frozen from rust. On the
other hand the oil looks like new in both the engine and the
compressor.

I know next to nothing about the mechanical innards of compressors and
even less about 2 stage compressors.

Is there some dumb thing I'm failing to take into account for the
thing failing to reciprocate? If it's seized due to rust is a rebuild
an expensive undertaking?

All points of view appreciated. Points of view based on personal
experience will be awesome!

Best to all.

Vernon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Vernon wrote:
Greetings. About six months ago I bought a Curtis-Toledo engine
driven compressor from an auction at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.

Hi Vernon!

Start he
http://www.curtistoledo.com/support/faq.htm

Do you have a model number?
Is it a reciprocating or screw type?
Is the unloader valve open?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 19:16:02 -0700 (PDT), Vernon
wrote:

I imagine this means that there's hope for the engine but that the
compressor is toast. I squirted some WD-40 into the air cleaner
cavity on the underside of the compressor head in hopes that it will
dribble down and free it up.

My presumption is that the compressor is frozen from rust. On the
other hand the oil looks like new in both the engine and the
compressor.

Pull the compressor head and simply look. Use Kroil in the cylinders
and let them set for a bit. Then tap the pistons with a block of wood
and a hammer, and then try turning the flywheel.

Its not rocket science, and they dont have a water jacket to lean
though the head gasket and freeze up the cylinder.....sigh

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Greetings. About six months ago I bought a Curtis-Toledo engine
driven compressor from an auction at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. I don't
remember the specs but it's a 2 stage compressor with about a 12HP
Briggs & Stratton engine. It looks like what those big rig road
service trucks use.

I never got around to fiddling with it until now. The flywheel cage
was dented and impinging on the compressor flywheel so we removed it
to be straightened. We have yet to attempt to start it because the
engine's missing the gas tank and the air cleaner. The compressor is
also missing the air cleaner.

Consider that some small truck-mount compressor engines like that
don't have a gas tank - they tap off the fuel line pickup on the
truck. Note that you CAN NOT do this on an EFI engine, since they
aren't designed to deal with a ~50 PSI pump, you'll need to arrange
either a separate tank or add a simple suction pickup.

Same thing with the electric start - it might have an alternator
charging coil, but it's designed to either tap off the truck starting
battery or have it's own remote battery.

Generic compressor air filters are cheap.

I decided to remove the V belts so that we can start the engine
independently of the compressor. Upon doing this I discovered that
the engine rotates freely but the compressor is locked solid.

I imagine this means that there's hope for the engine but that the
compressor is toast. I squirted some WD-40 into the air cleaner
cavity on the underside of the compressor head in hopes that it will
dribble down and free it up.

My presumption is that the compressor is frozen from rust. On the
other hand the oil looks like new in both the engine and the
compressor.

If rain got in the air intake the piston rings can rust up and water
never makes it to the oil. I'd pull the head and look, and perhaps a
Kroil soak.

I know next to nothing about the mechanical innards of compressors and
even less about 2 stage compressors.

Simple enough. Air comes in the larger first stage and gets boosted
from atmospheric to maybe 100 PSI. Then it goes out into the
intercooler, the finned tube that makes a lap behind the flywheel, and
dumps some heat. Then into the second stage that boosts it to 175
PSI, and out to the tank.

Is there some dumb thing I'm failing to take into account for the
thing failing to reciprocate? If it's seized due to rust is a rebuild
an expensive undertaking?

Diagnose the problem and do your research before deciding -
sometimes you can get a complete pump for less than the repair parts
for the old unit, let alone the labor. You can buy another matching
model used pump, and between the two make one good unit.

If you plan on using it every day to make a living, you might want
to go get a new pump from Curtis-Toledo, or from another top-tier
maker like Quincy.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 4, 9:35*pm, Winston wrote:
Vernon wrote:
Greetings. *About six months ago I bought a Curtis-Toledo engine
driven compressor from an auction at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. *

Hi Vernon!

Start hehttp://www.curtistoledo.com/support/faq.htm

Do you have a model number?
Is it a reciprocating or screw type?
Is the unloader valve open?

--Winston

Winston,

It didn't cross my mind to check them doh! I don't have the model
info readily available but I will get it. My concern was that this
would be an odd duck not supported by C-T simply because it was
military surplus. Of course this may yet turn out to be true. I
think the thing was built in 1989.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Vernon wrote:

On Oct 4, 9:35 pm, Winston wrote:

Vernon wrote:

Greetings. About six months ago I bought a Curtis-Toledo engine
driven compressor from an auction at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.

Hi Vernon!

Start hehttp://www.curtistoledo.com/support/faq.htm

Do you have a model number?
Is it a reciprocating or screw type?
Is the unloader valve open?

--Winston

Winston,

It didn't cross my mind to check them doh! I don't have the model
info readily available but I will get it. My concern was that this
would be an odd duck not supported by C-T simply because it was
military surplus. Of course this may yet turn out to be true. I
think the thing was built in 1989.

Okey dokey.

Bruce gave you some terrific advice.
It couldn't hurt at all to pop the heads off it and have a look.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 6:30*pm, Winston wrote:
Vernon wrote:
On Oct 4, 9:35 pm, Winston wrote:

Vernon wrote:

Greetings. *About six months ago I bought a Curtis-Toledo engine
driven compressor from an auction at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. *

Hi Vernon!

Start hehttp://www.curtistoledo.com/support/faq.htm

Do you have a model number?
Is it a reciprocating or screw type?
Is the unloader valve open?

--Winston

Winston,

It didn't cross my mind to check them doh! * I don't have the model
info readily available but I will get it. *My concern was that this
would be an odd duck not supported by C-T simply because it was
military surplus. *Of course this may yet turn out to be true. *I
think the thing was built in 1989.

Okey dokey.

Bruce gave you some terrific advice.
It couldn't hurt at all to pop the heads off it and have a look.

--Winston- Hide quoted text -

If I remove the head is the head gasket reusable?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Vernon wrote:

(...)

If I remove the head is the head gasket reusable?

If it's copper, probably in a pinch.
If it's paper 'gasket' stock, probably not.

The good news is that it is easy to make another
gasket from auto store 'gasket material'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rx5hGKt1PY

Once you have the head off, you can dump some kroil
in the cylinder and let it soak for a while.

You should be able to check the reed valve in the
head as well.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I did what you did. Took off a stuck compressor head and unstuck
it. The paper gasket will possibly, but not surely, break. Curtis
should have replacements and possibly reed valves.

See if you can use a little leverage to turn the compressor. Pry bar
or whatever. If not, take the head off and look. Post some pictures.

On 2008-10-05, Vernon wrote:
On Oct 5, 6:30*pm, Winston wrote:
Vernon wrote:
On Oct 4, 9:35 pm, Winston wrote:

Vernon wrote:

Greetings. *About six months ago I bought a Curtis-Toledo engine
driven compressor from an auction at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. *

Hi Vernon!

Start hehttp://www.curtistoledo.com/support/faq.htm

Do you have a model number?
Is it a reciprocating or screw type?
Is the unloader valve open?

Winston,

It didn't cross my mind to check them doh! * I don't have the model
info readily available but I will get it. *My concern was that this
would be an odd duck not supported by C-T simply because it was
military surplus. *Of course this may yet turn out to be true. *I
think the thing was built in 1989.

Okey dokey.

Bruce gave you some terrific advice.
It couldn't hurt at all to pop the heads off it and have a look.

If I remove the head is the head gasket reusable?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

On 2008-10-05, Vernon wrote:

On Oct 5, 6:30*pm, Winston wrote:
Vernon wrote:
On Oct 4, 9:35 pm, Winston wrote:

Vernon wrote:

Greetings. *About six months ago I bought a Curtis-Toledo engine
driven compressor from an auction at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. *

Hi Vernon!

Start hehttp://www.curtistoledo.com/support/faq.htm

Do you have a model number?
Is it a reciprocating or screw type?
Is the unloader valve open?

Winston,

It didn't cross my mind to check them doh! * I don't have the model
info readily available but I will get it. *My concern was that this
would be an odd duck not supported by C-T simply because it was
military surplus. *Of course this may yet turn out to be true. *I
think the thing was built in 1989.

Okey dokey.

Bruce gave you some terrific advice.
It couldn't hurt at all to pop the heads off it and have a look.

If I remove the head is the head gasket reusable?

* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
* * * *from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
* * * * *more readers you will need to find a different means of
* * * * * * * * * * * *posting on Usenet.
* * * * * * * * * *http://improve-usenet.org/- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I will!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Vernon wrote:

On Oct 4, 9:35 pm, Winston wrote:
Vernon wrote:
Greetings. About six months ago I bought a Curtis-Toledo engine
driven compressor from an auction at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.

Hi Vernon!

Start hehttp://www.curtistoledo.com/support/faq.htm

Do you have a model number?
Is it a reciprocating or screw type?
Is the unloader valve open?

--Winston

Winston,

It didn't cross my mind to check them doh! I don't have the model
info readily available but I will get it. My concern was that this
would be an odd duck not supported by C-T simply because it was
military surplus. Of course this may yet turn out to be true. I
think the thing was built in 1989.

https://www.logsa.army.mil/ has some military manuals available to the
public. It is a US military site, so all access is logged, and is only
available inside the US.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.