Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Innovative investment - somewhat on topic

My local Home Hardware store sells fasteners by the pound in which it
thankfully differs from all other stores selling fasteners here. The savings
are substantial. Unless you want set screws: Those come in packages of one.
A 3/16" 6-32 set screw costs $0.59.

I weighed it as accurately as I could and it weighs 0.1 gm. This makes it
about $167 an ounce. This is over ten times more expensive than silver and
just sligthly cheaper than palladium.

Now the question is what proportion of one's investment portfolio should be
in set screws? Should one dabble in the set screw futures? From ethical
point of view, is there such thing as a "blood set screw"?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 19:56:13 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

My local Home Hardware store sells fasteners by the pound in which it
thankfully differs from all other stores selling fasteners here. The savings
are substantial. Unless you want set screws: Those come in packages of one.
A 3/16" 6-32 set screw costs $0.59.

I weighed it as accurately as I could and it weighs 0.1 gm. This makes it
about $167 an ounce. This is over ten times more expensive than silver and
just sligthly cheaper than palladium.

Now the question is what proportion of one's investment portfolio should be
in set screws? Should one dabble in the set screw futures? From ethical
point of view, is there such thing as a "blood set screw"?

At some point you will be screwed!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

is there such thing as a "blood set screw"?

At some point you will be screwed!

I tried to use 'conflict free' setscrews but they kept
melting into the shaft.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:
My local Home Hardware store sells fasteners by the pound in which it
thankfully differs from all other stores selling fasteners here. The savings
are substantial. Unless you want set screws: Those come in packages of one.
A 3/16" 6-32 set screw costs $0.59.

I weighed it as accurately as I could and it weighs 0.1 gm. This makes it
about $167 an ounce. This is over ten times more expensive than silver and
just sligthly cheaper than palladium.

I think you'll find that unbonded tested
semconductor die to be far more expensive
per troy ounce. And high quality inkjet
ink is thousands of dollars a gallon.

Now the question is what proportion of one's investment portfolio should be
in set screws? Should one dabble in the set screw futures? From ethical
point of view, is there such thing as a "blood set screw"?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

is there such thing as a "blood set screw"?

At some point you will be screwed!

I tried to use 'conflict free' setscrews but they kept
melting into the shaft.

Hm. Shafted *and* screwed...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is common to have cost plus minimum charge.

When I was a product development Engineer I caught the company selling
parts in three price ranges. The bottom was as expensive as as the middle or
top prices. Top means more than one would want if one had a handful of machines.

I was developing a machine and was setting up options. I built in user kits
that was over the minimum charge level and gave good value.

We still made good money on the option - it payed for someone to mark, pack and
ship but didn't send someone to a private school!

I visited a customer some years later and was thanked. He knew what I had
done - buying the older machine parts and my machine parts. We kept that
customer until he retired and the division was in business. Honesty pays.

Getting back to set screws - I bet you could buy a volume for a better price.
Most of us don't use a pound of screws.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Michael Koblic wrote:
My local Home Hardware store sells fasteners by the pound in which it
thankfully differs from all other stores selling fasteners here. The savings
are substantial. Unless you want set screws: Those come in packages of one.
A 3/16" 6-32 set screw costs $0.59.

I weighed it as accurately as I could and it weighs 0.1 gm. This makes it
about $167 an ounce. This is over ten times more expensive than silver and
just sligthly cheaper than palladium.

Now the question is what proportion of one's investment portfolio should be
in set screws? Should one dabble in the set screw futures? From ethical
point of view, is there such thing as a "blood set screw"?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now the question is what proportion of one's investment portfolio should be
in set screws? Should one dabble in the set screw futures? From ethical
point of view, is there such thing as a "blood set screw"?

It's a perfectly safe, Government backed investment on this side of the pond.
The British Government has been screwing manufacturing industry for the last
three decades :-|

Mark Rand
RTFM

an innovative design @ NASA [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 31st 07 06:48 AM
Innovative house painting. [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 20th 07 03:03 AM
innovative tools foggytown Woodworking 11 December 25th 06 07:31 AM
INNOVATIVE HAND TOOLS CHAD Home Repair 0 December 19th 06 07:28 AM
Spinning the word ‘Innovative” charlie b Woodworking 1 June 17th 06 08:24 PM