Posted to rec.woodworking

Default innovative tools

The silly advertising thread in here raised and interesting question.
What was the last TRULY innovative hand or power tool that hit the
general market? The DeWalt combi mitre/table saw maybe?

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

You didn't say how long to go back, so I vote for the hand plane

Biscuit joiner is pretty cool for more modern stuff

Posted to rec.woodworking

FoggyTown wrote:

The silly advertising thread in here raised and interesting question.
What was the last TRULY innovative hand or power tool that hit the
general market? The DeWalt combi mitre/table saw maybe?

FoggyTown

Veritas
Medium Shoulder Plane & Large Shoulder Plane

Glen-Drake
Tite-Mark marking gauge - with option for a pair of
mortise scribes

JoinTech
Clincher precision fence postioning system
Cabinet Maker Fence

Festool
Plunge Circular Saw with riving knife
Straight Edge Guide

Leight
FMT Jig

Japanese Pull Saws
- not the saws themselves, they've been around a long long
time, but their hitting the U.S. market

Battery Powered Impact Driver
though not in every home handyman's garage yet
it will be

Dewalt
Dewalt 621 Plunge Router incorporating
- electronic variable speed
- soft start
- on/off switch on one of the handles
- plunge lock on the other handle
- dust collection port in one of the plunge
columns

Kreg
Pocket Hole Jig

Will stop there.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

MB wrote:
You didn't say how long to go back, so I vote for the hand plane

Biscuit joiner is pretty cool for more modern stuff

I said the LAST truly innovative tool which would mean the most recent.
There must have been some new ideas since the hand plane. Then again,
maybe your standards are REALLY high!

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie b" wrote in message

Dewalt
Dewalt 621 Plunge Router incorporating
- electronic variable speed
- soft start
- on/off switch on one of the handles
- plunge lock on the other handle
- dust collection port in one of the plunge
columns

I agree. An outstanding router.

Instead of my 4 different routers (2 PC, 2 DW) it would have been smarter to
just get 2 or 3 DW 621s. Then the jigs would have been interchangeable...
sigh

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Jerde" wrote in

"charlie b" wrote in message

Dewalt
Dewalt 621 Plunge Router incorporating
- electronic variable speed
- soft start
- on/off switch on one of the handles
- plunge lock on the other handle
- dust collection port in one of the plunge
columns

I agree. An outstanding router.

Instead of my 4 different routers (2 PC, 2 DW) it would have been
smarter to just get 2 or 3 DW 621s. Then the jigs would have been
interchangeable... sigh

-- Mark

Well, yeah. But it took those three or four other routers to find the
'one' that you want to work with.

Learning isn't necessarily cheap.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 136...

Instead of my 4 different routers (2 PC, 2 DW) it would have been
smarter to just get 2 or 3 DW 621s. Then the jigs would have been
interchangeable... sigh

-- Mark

Well, yeah. But it took those three or four other routers to find the
'one' that you want to work with.

Learning isn't necessarily cheap.

Yabbut then I'm really a "cut it three times and it's still too short" guy.
The 621 was my first router. (We won't talk about the 1/4" Craftsman
Christmas gift from SWMBO, with its random-height and variable alignment
"features.")

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

FoggyTown wrote:
The silly advertising thread in here raised and interesting question.
What was the last TRULY innovative hand or power tool that hit the
general market? The DeWalt combi mitre/table saw maybe?

FoggyTown

Screwdrivers with multiple tips.

--

Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're
doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-0, 12/22/2006
Tested on: 12/23/2006 3:19:58 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 03:19:57 -0500, Bill in Detroit wrote:

FoggyTown wrote:
The silly advertising thread in here raised and interesting question.
What was the last TRULY innovative hand or power tool that hit the
general market? The DeWalt combi mitre/table saw maybe?

FoggyTown

Screwdrivers with multiple tips.

The standardized 1/4" hex shank perhaps. Screwdrivers with
intgerchangeable tips go _way_ back. The old Yankee screwdrivers have
interchangeable tips that go in like it was for keeps. Had one for, well,
I don't know how long--I was a little kid when I first noticed it, before
I realized that the tip was removable. Probably never would have if I
hadn't noticed a set of tips for it at Sears one day.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Screwdrivers with multiple tips.

The standardized 1/4" hex shank perhaps. Screwdrivers with
intgerchangeable tips go _way_ back. The old Yankee screwdrivers have
interchangeable tips that go in like it was for keeps. Had one for, well,
I don't know how long--I was a little kid when I first noticed it, before
I realized that the tip was removable. Probably never would have if I
hadn't noticed a set of tips for it at Sears one day.

The one I have in mind is labeled "Workforce" and it doubles as a hex
driver for two sizes ... 1/4 & 5/16, IIRC. The drive shaft holds a
double-ended bit at each end with one end of the shaft inserted into the
handle.

I did machine maintenance for 3 years and it and a couple of small
crescent wrenches kept me from having to lug a toolbox around. (That
stinkin' tool pouch weighed plenty already!)

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-1, 12/24/2006
Tested on: 12/25/2006 2:31:28 AM

Introducing INNOVATIVE HAND TOOLS. CHAD Woodworking 6 December 20th 06 10:55 PM
INNOVATIVE HAND TOOLS CHAD Home Repair 0 December 19th 06 07:28 AM
Spinning the word ‘Innovative” charlie b Woodworking 1 June 17th 06 08:24 PM
Install basement dehumidifier? (power tools, tools, damp air) Thomas G. Marshall Woodworking 10 January 4th 06 06:12 PM
TOOLS! Great Holiday Gifts, selling a shop full of tools (AUBURN, WA pickup only): fred Woodworking 1 December 21st 04 07:25 AM