Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill chuck on live center - why?

I have, from an estate sale, a nice new 1/2" keyed drill chuck mounted
to an MT2 live center. The chuck rotates on the center.

What purpose would something like this serve?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:
I have, from an estate sale, a nice new 1/2" keyed drill chuck mounted
to an MT2 live center. The chuck rotates on the center.

What purpose would something like this serve?

This set up is often used to true up small electric motor or
generator cummutators. One end of the shaft is held in the lathe's
chuck, the other by a chuck like the one you've described. The area
where the brushes run can then be resurfaced.

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

Ralph Wiggum
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RB" wrote in message
I have, from an estate sale, a nice new 1/2" keyed drill chuck mounted to
an MT2 live center. The chuck rotates on the center.

What purpose would something like this serve?

I wished I had one a number of times. How about holding small diameter
rods?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" fired this volley in
:

"RB" wrote in message
I have, from an estate sale, a nice new 1/2" keyed drill chuck

mounted
to an MT2 live center. The chuck rotates on the center.

What purpose would something like this serve?

I wished I had one a number of times. How about holding small
diameter rods?

How 'bout super-low torque drilling? G

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Snell wrote:
RB wrote:
I have, from an estate sale, a nice new 1/2" keyed drill chuck mounted
to an MT2 live center. The chuck rotates on the center.

What purpose would something like this serve?

This set up is often used to true up small electric motor or generator
cummutators. One end of the shaft is held in the lathe's chuck, the
other by a chuck like the one you've described. The area where the
brushes run can then be resurfaced.

Ah, that makes sense. Holding a small diameter rod between spindle and
tailstock, where the stock is too small for a center.

I guess I'll keep it then.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:
I have, from an estate sale, a nice new 1/2" keyed drill chuck mounted
to an MT2 live center. The chuck rotates on the center.

What purpose would something like this serve?

The same reason as having a live center in the tailstock, to hold
something. Three jaw and four jaw chucks with morse live centers on the
back side are common in shops doing large tubes or long hollow parts.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-26, RB wrote:
I have, from an estate sale, a nice new 1/2" keyed drill chuck mounted
to an MT2 live center. The chuck rotates on the center.

What purpose would something like this serve?

For supporting the far end of something which does not have a
center hole -- and for whatever reason *should* not have one.

Back in the old days, Jacobs made chucks (without keys) for the
purpose of supporting the far end of a motor shaft while turning a worn
commutator. This one had bronze jaws, V-shaped to support the shaft
with out too much contact area, and with a ring to lock the outer shell
so you could adjust to be a slip fit on the shaft, and not have to worry
about the chuck either tightening or loosening during the operation.

I have one of these recently sold on eBay -- by someone who
thought that it was a standard drill chuck, and had no idea what the
locking ring was supposed to be for. Luckily, I recognized it for what
it was, and bid on and won it.

Your chuck may well lbe for this sort of purpose, except
designed to firmly grip the motor shaft, and to rotate with it.

Why not put a photo of your chuck in the dropbox
(http://www.metalworking.com) and post the resulting URL to here so we
can take a look at what you have.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2008-09-26, RB wrote:
[...]

Done. Posted as "chuck mounted to a live center" txt & JPG

I don't know how long it will take to show up.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-29, RB wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

Why not put a photo of your chuck in the dropbox
(http://www.metalworking.com) and post the resulting URL to here so we
can take a look at what you have.

Done. Posted as "chuck mounted to a live center" txt & JPG

Ouch -- spaces in the file names, so they will be replaced by
the system with underscores '_' to avoid problems with some systems.
Spaces embedded in filenames are *evil*. Even a problem to some
business versions of Windows -- which started the fad. :-)

I don't know how long it will take to show up.

They are there already. You even have a space between "center"
and the '.'. :-)

It looks (from this angle) as though someone took a changeable
point live center and machined up an adaptor between that and a Jacobs
taper (or the Metric equivalent which is a little different in
dimensions). So -- consider it "shop made".

What is the primary Morse taper there? -- MT-2 I guess, and a
step-up to MT-3 and another to MT-4?

I did something similar to adapt a small (3") lathe chuck from
my Compact-5/CNC lathe to a changeable point live center for turning
threads in the end of a 3.5" ID aluminum pipe (Sched 40 IIRC). I slid
the tubing over the chuck with retracted jaws, then expanded the jaws
inside, loosened the headstock chuck a little and cranked the tailstock
feed to seat it firmly on the step jaws, and then tightened that end too
before cutting the threads. It made threads in the OD at the free end
very easy.

Anyway -- you have a tool which is quite useful when needed, so
keep hold of it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Ouch -- spaces in the file names, so they will be replaced by
the system with underscores '_' to avoid problems with some systems.
Spaces embedded in filenames are *evil*. Even a problem to some
business versions of Windows -- which started the fad. :-)

Commodore allowed spaces in file names, long before Windows did.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-30, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Ouch -- spaces in the file names, so they will be replaced by
the system with underscores '_' to avoid problems with some systems.
Spaces embedded in filenames are *evil*. Even a problem to some
business versions of Windows -- which started the fad. :-)

Commodore allowed spaces in file names, long before Windows did.

MS-DOS's COMMAND.COM could not handle embedded spaces in the
file names.

However, the BASIC interpreter, descended from the Altair Disk
Basic (also from Microsoft) bypassed the OS's high-level disk routines,
and could create files with embedded spaces in the names. I discovered
this in a MS-DOS 2.? system which included a "typing tutor" program.
That program created files with embedded spaces in the names (to record
the progress of a "student"), and the only way that I could get rid of
it was to go into BASIC, and type the command in BASIC to remove a disk
file (I forget what the syntax was, but it was in the manual). *That*
got rid of it. The normal unix tricks (enclosing the filename in single
quotes or double quotes did not work, and the unix trick of preceding
the space with a '\' *could* not work because MS-DOS used '\' as a
subdirectory separator.

I later encountered a similar problem in another system which
included a Microsoft BASIC (a computerized spectrophotometer FWIW), but
did not include MS-DOS as the OS). However that version of the BASIC
did not have the command to delete a file, so I was stuck by the files
created by someone else.

It wasn't until Windows that the command line allowed
referencing files with embedded spaces in their names on Microsoft
systems. And -- they are regretting allowing that for their business
systems and servers, where scripts (.BAT files or the like) tend to
break when they encounter spaces in filenames.

I've never used a disk-based Commodore, so I don't know how the
command line handled embedded spaces in filenames. It may be that the
design of the command line allowed only on e filename per command, so it
could just keep reading until the end of the command line and treat it
all as a single filename. If not -- how did you specify on the command
line (not to be confused with referencing from within BASIC) a file with
embedded spaces. Or was it like the Altiar Disk BASIC, where the BASIC
*was* all of the OS that existed, so you had to reference files purely
from within BASIC commands?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-30, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[...]

The Disk OS was in ROM, so there was no equivalent to command.com.
The filenames were up to 16 characters, and could have a space anywhere
you wanted. I used to put a menu on a disk, with two leading spaces and
a couple utilities with a single space so that when the directory was
sorted, the menu was always the first item. If you held the 'Commodore'
key and pressed the 'run' key it loaded and ran the first program on the
disk. BTW, Microsoft was involved in the ROM based OS. The commodores
would only hold one basic program at a time, but there was a small area
of protected RAM where small machine language programs could be run with
a 'poke' command.

I still have the books detailing the ROM based OS for the 1541 drives.
In fact, I had multiple copies, from friends who moved on to programing
newer computers. One was called 'Inside the 1541', but I can't remember
the other title and I don't want to go out to the shop at one AM to
look.

live center? Gary & Karen Woodturning 7 March 1st 07 12:47 AM
lost live center pin dustyone Woodturning 10 November 17th 06 07:21 AM
Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 29th 05 01:07 AM
Live center, CNC point Wayne Metalworking 11 January 26th 05 03:29 PM
Dead center/live center lathe question R.H. Woodworking 10 October 18th 04 07:32 PM