Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electronical question

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 01:31:35 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
David Lesher wrote:
Jim Wilkins writes:

Went to Flint, set it up, they plugged their module in and powered up.
On the third dump it melted the soldered wire off the big Zener clamp
diode, then toasted the module on the fourth as we all rushed to shut
it down. I think that's why they changed to side terminal batteries.

Thanks for the report. I keep trying to tell folks what damage a load
dump can do; few belive me..

The less they know about automotive electronics, the less they
believe.

And there are still idiots in the alt.autos.* hierarchy that run
around deliberately trolling gullible people - "You test the
alternator by disconnecting the battery with the car running..."

You'll notice that they never try it on their own car.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman writes:

Thanks for the report. I keep trying to tell folks what damage a load
dump can do; few belive me..

The less they know about automotive electronics, the less they
believe.

And there are still idiots in the alt.autos.* hierarchy that run
around deliberately trolling gullible people - "You test the
alternator by disconnecting the battery with the car running..."

You'll notice that they never try it on their own car.

The real idiots do.....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Lesher wrote:
Jim Wilkins writes:

Went to Flint, set it up, they plugged their module in and powered up.
On the third dump it melted the soldered wire off the big Zener clamp
diode, then toasted the module on the fourth as we all rushed to shut
it down. I think that's why they changed to side terminal batteries.

Thanks for the report. I keep trying to tell folks what damage a load
dump can do; few belive me..

The less they know about automotive electronics, the less they
believe.

And there are still idiots in the alt.autos.* hierarchy that run
around deliberately trolling gullible people - "You test the
alternator by disconnecting the battery with the car running..."

You'll notice that they never try it on their own car.

The same thing happens if a battery develops an open cell while the
engine is running. There are several faults that can cause a load dump,
and none are something you want to have happen to your car or truck.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.