Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do I straighten Delrin?

"D Murphy" wrote in message
"newshound" wrote in news:6h1ti3Fi4clrU1
@mid.individual.net:

Anneal the material either in air or oil.

Too late for that now what he needs is straighten in a jig and hold
it there while annealing...

Cheaper and easier to toss them and do it right.
To each his own.

--

Doesn't that rather depend on who is paying for the material and how he
costs his own time?

Otherwise known as "sunk cost fallacy". So no, if you're a rational
decision maker the amount spent so far should not be considered.

The money you've already spent is lost. You can calculate your cost to
make the parts properly and if you are sure you can come up with a fool
proof way to fix the parts then you can compare the two costs.

Right now fixing the part seems far from certain and has an unknown cost.
It seems likely a repair attempt will just increase your loss. So a do-
over is the best decision.

--

Dan

No, it isn't, the sunk cost doesn't come into it. If you are retired and
don't have much cash, but your time is free then it is worth spending any
amount of time trying to recover it. If you put a small value on your time
then, as you say, you also have to estimate the chance that you can't fix
it. You have to compare the cost of *new* material (not the time/material
already spent) with the time which you might waste on an unsuccessful
recovery.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 21, 2:00 pm, "newshound" wrote:

No, it isn't, the sunk cost doesn't come into it. If you are retired and
don't have much cash, but your time is free then it is worth spending any
amount of time trying to recover it. If you put a small value on your time
then, as you say, you also have to estimate the chance that you can't fix
it. You have to compare the cost of *new* material (not the time/material
already spent) with the time which you might waste on an unsuccessful
recovery.

Well I agree with you. You should not consider the costs so far.
However in this case if you can not get annealed material, you are
going to have the same expense to anneal the new material as you will
have to anneal the old material. I would try annealing the parts
already made. The original message did not mention how true the parts
have to be. So we are all guessing without enough information. If
they have to be super straight, then starting over with annealed
material is likely the right choice. But there is a lot to be said
for knowing the tolerances and proceeding accordingly.

Dan