Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Not your ordinary kind of bolt

Pls see this photo, and the question contained in the caption. Thnx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/2741615453/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 13:23:36 -0700, ghb624 wrote:

Pls see this photo, and the question contained in the caption. Thnx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/2741615453/

(A picture of rusty T-head bolt, maybe 1" diam.)

I've got some circular strap clamps that have similarly-shaped but
much smaller (1/4"-20) T-head bolts. Picture that gives the idea:
http://www.globalspec.com/NpaPics/93...ExhibitPic.jpg

Maybe the bolts you found are from bigger versions of the same thing.
Or they might be hanger bolts that fit into T-track. In any case, if
they fell off a bridge or other infrastructure as you imagine, they
probably were holding lights or signs rather than structure.

-jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. ..
wrote:

Pls see this photo, and the question
contained in the caption. Thnx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/2741615453/

(A picture of rusty T-head bolt, maybe 1"
diam.)

I've got some circular strap clamps that have
similarly-shaped but
much smaller (1/4"-20) T-head bolts. Picture
that gives the idea:
http://www.globalspec.com/NpaPics/93...ExhibitPic.jpg

Maybe the bolts you found are from bigger
versions of the same thing.
Or they might be hanger bolts that fit into
T-track. In any case, if
they fell off a bridge or other infrastructure
as you imagine, they
probably were holding lights or signs rather
than structure.

Are those from a rail line? Seems like I've
seen something similar bolting pieces of rail
together. Any railroads close to where they
were found?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 7, 4:44 pm, "BillM" wrote:

Are those from a rail line? Seems like I've
seen something similar bolting pieces of rail
together. Any railroads close to where they
were found?

I don't think so. There are RR tracks not too far away, but in the
wrong direction. None upstream from the location I found the bolts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:49:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
James Waldby quickly quoth:

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 13:23:36 -0700, ghb624 wrote:

Pls see this photo, and the question contained in the caption. Thnx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/2741615453/

(A picture of rusty T-head bolt, maybe 1" diam.)

I've got some circular strap clamps that have similarly-shaped but
much smaller (1/4"-20) T-head bolts. Picture that gives the idea:
http://www.globalspec.com/NpaPics/93...ExhibitPic.jpg

Maybe the bolts you found are from bigger versions of the same thing.
Or they might be hanger bolts that fit into T-track. In any case, if
they fell off a bridge or other infrastructure as you imagine, they
probably were holding lights or signs rather than structure.

Yeah, I've that style on expensive clamps, too.

One other thought. I've seen similar bolts used in slotted flanges on
bolt-down manhole covers. At roughly 3/4"x4" or 5", this seems to be
the application to me.

Post-"cast-iron-theft era" bolts look totally different:
http://www.gmptools.com/nf/84540.htm

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Water main flange bolts??
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 22:42:02 -0400, Gerald Miller
wrote:

Water main flange bolts??
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Or bolts from a pipe repair clamp...
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...82/figb-19.gif

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 8, 10:27 am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for posting that link Larry - as a former lineman, got all
nostalgic going through their catalog....

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 7, 4:23*pm, ghb624 wrote:
Pls see this photo, and the question contained in the caption. *Thnx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/2741615453/

Those are restraining bolts for ductile iron water main installation.
See the attached link to a .pdf.
http://www.ebaa.com/pdf/1100.pdf
The fittings have a flange drilled for bolts. The plain pipe end has
a field installed flange (the brand show is called a Mega-lug) the
field installed flange has teeth which bite into the plain end of the
pipe. The bolt heads on these teeth shear off when the proper torque
is reached.

The T-bolt looking things in the original post clamp the factory
flange on the fitting to the Mega-lug. The whole point is to resist
intertial forces from "blowing off" the fittings/hydrants/valves, ect.

Enjoy,
Andy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wow, there's no end to the kinds of specialized hardware that are out
there, if you know where to look. Thanks for all the good inputs,
guys.