Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] vk3bfa@hotmail.com is offline

Default Not your ordinary kind of bolt

On Aug 8, 10:27 am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:49:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
James Waldby quickly quoth:

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 13:23:36 -0700, ghb624 wrote:

Pls see this photo, and the question contained in the caption. Thnx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/2741615453/

(A picture of rusty T-head bolt, maybe 1" diam.)

I've got some circular strap clamps that have similarly-shaped but
much smaller (1/4"-20) T-head bolts. Picture that gives the idea:
http://www.globalspec.com/NpaPics/93...ExhibitPic.jpg

Maybe the bolts you found are from bigger versions of the same thing.
Or they might be hanger bolts that fit into T-track. In any case, if
they fell off a bridge or other infrastructure as you imagine, they
probably were holding lights or signs rather than structure.

Yeah, I've that style on expensive clamps, too.

One other thought. I've seen similar bolts used in slotted flanges on
bolt-down manhole covers. At roughly 3/4"x4" or 5", this seems to be
the application to me.

Post-"cast-iron-theft era" bolts look totally different:http://www.gmptools.com/nf/84540.htm

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Thanks for posting that link Larry - as a former lineman, got all
nostalgic going through their catalog....

Andrew VK3BFA.