Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulic lathes?

Sometime recently I read about someone who acquired an older milling
machine that had hydraulic feed on the table. I wondered about how
these tables might be controlled and if any lathes have been designed
using hydraulics to move the carriage or crossfeed instead of lead or
feedscrews. (After all, there are mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic
linear actuators.)
I don't know if you could control hydraulics as precisely as
feedscrews (with respect to headstock spindle rotation) for cutting
threads, but you'd never have to worry about worn screws and metric/
inch conversions. I imagine that the big problem is in designing the
feedback system and getting it to respond well.
I've seen descriptions of hydraulic systems made by companies like
Enerpac that control the balancing of bridge sections to keep them
level while being positioned with cranes. I know that hydraulics can
be controlled with electronics and proportional or servo valves.
Probably it's difficult to beat mechanical feed and leadscrews because
it's a simple and accurate system, but I was just curious.

lathes??? [email protected] Woodturning 9 June 2nd 07 05:52 AM
Lathes??? Harry Pye Woodturning 0 May 30th 07 10:02 PM
Delta - Fox - Sip lathes - are they the same? Paul Loseby Woodturning 4 April 11th 06 03:33 PM
Craftsman Lathes grB Woodturning 8 March 28th 05 04:24 AM
WTS: LAthes WebMaster OK.com Metalworking 10 March 17th 05 02:59 PM