Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Things you already knew

A friend sent me a link. Time for a reminder about air tanks
http://www.doli.state.mn.us/airtank.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RoyJ writes:

http://www.doli.state.mn.us/airtank.html

"The accumulation of water in the vessel caused severe corrosion ..."

Puhleeze.

Every working compressor tank has water in the bottom all the time, drain
or no drain. The drain just keeps it from taking up a significant volume.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:
RoyJ writes:

http://www.doli.state.mn.us/airtank.html

"The accumulation of water in the vessel caused severe corrosion ..."

Puhleeze.

Every working compressor tank has water in the bottom all the time,
drain or no drain. The drain just keeps it from taking up a
significant volume.

But you're wrong , Dick . A well-maintained tank will have very little
water in the bottom . Our tanks at work (cabinet shop) all have automatic
drains , in addition to dryers between the tank and compressor .

--
Snag
wannabe machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs writes:

But you're wrong , Dick . A well-maintained tank will have very
little
water in the bottom

"Very little", eh?

Some liquid will always be there, and the atmosphere is at 100 percent
saturation.

So from a corrosion standpoint, draining has no effect. There is always
some standing liquid water.

Our tanks at work (cabinet shop) all have automatic drains

Which always leave some liquid in the tank, and do absolutely nothing to
the condensing ambient atmosphere in the tank.

in addition to dryers between the tank and compressor.

Which has nothing to do with conditions inside the tank itself.

Now, a dryer between the compressor pump and the tank, that could be
putting dry air in the tank, which is the only way around this problem.

Don't be ignorant and think that draining a tank has anything to do with
corrosion protection. You drain tanks to minimize the buildup of volume
displacement.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Every working compressor tank has water in the bottom all the time, drain
or no drain. The drain just keeps it from taking up a significant volume.

And I can predict with reasonable certanty, the bottom of my tank will fail first.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-31, Wes wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Every working compressor tank has water in the bottom all the time, drain
or no drain. The drain just keeps it from taking up a significant volume.

And I can predict with reasonable certanty, the bottom of my tank will fail first.

Attach stabilizing fins to it, so that if the bottom falls off, it
would rocket upwards instead of at you!!!

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 31, 4:35 pm, Wes wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Every working compressor tank has water in the bottom all the time, drain
or no drain. The drain just keeps it from taking up a significant volume.

And I can predict with reasonable certanty, the bottom of my tank will fail first.

Wes

So, seeing that it really wouldn't add much to the production
costs of a tank, why don't they slosh some epoxy around inside it
after manufacture? They line gasoline storage tanks with epoxy to
prevent corrosion. It wouldn't be a big deal to have a device that
randomly tumbles a rack of clamped-in air tanks to move the stuff
around (like the PVC molding technology used to make big plastic water
tanks and dumpsters and the like) and then remove the plugs and tap
out the hardened epoxy from the pipe ports. If it's stuck good the air
won't get behind it and blow it off if the tank is drained.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25244 wrote:

Attach stabilizing fins to it, so that if the bottom falls off, it
would rocket upwards instead of at you!!!

Hopefully, the pinhole leak will first appear.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 30, 8:46 pm, RoyJ wrote:
A friend sent me a link. Time for a reminder about air tankshttp://www.doli.state.mn.us/airtank.html

Looks like that could have been detected as a problem by whacking the
bottom of the tank with a hammer.

Unpressurized, of course.

Dave