Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Achieving fine finish on turned parts

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 13:18:41 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 05:35:24 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 14:16:33 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

One of the better dual purpose oils..is plain jane ATF

Does Ed's Red work for cutting/drilling/tapping, too?

Id imagine that it would, but it would be right expensive.
ATF bought at the 99c store works well enough

Ah, good sourcing/pricing tip there. Danke, señor.

Personally..I use high sulphur oil at home in the shop. Stinky, smokey
and attracts dust on the machines between uses here in the desert..but
is really hard to beat for most everything.

I hear that sulfur is like lead and softens the contact a bit.

--
Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm).
-----------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 18:45:30 -0400, Wes wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

Seat cartridge in (cylindrical) caseholder from Wilson case trimmer.
Chuck that up in lathe, drill and tap.

I thought about that after I posted, using a reloading die held in a chuck and taking a
very light cut drilling while keeping the exposed case head from rotating in the die would
likely work also.

What cartridge was it? If it was a bottleneck shouldn't you have retained the shoulder?

.22-250. If you mean the neck, then the bullet would stick in it. The
rod is stiff enough that the bullet doesn't droop much, and the fit of
rod to hole has no perceptible wiggle. So the bullet stays pretty well
centered and square, and the rifling lands have enough of a taper on
the start to sorta guide the ogive into place. I use just light finger
pressure on the end of the rod, set the rodlock. A series of
measurements repeated to a bit over a thou, close enough for my
purposes.

http://www.neconos.com/22-250.jpg

Seems like you could have kept the shoulder but if it is working for you, it solves the
problem.

You have Quickdesign! Are you doing wildcats?

Thank you again for giving me one more idea of things to build.

A friend is getting interested in making a case neck annealing device,
which I'd think might be real useful when working with wildcat
cartridges. He's studied the ones offered by Ken Light and others.
I'll be goin' on a scrounging mission next week for rawstock.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Do it right and make an induction heater....G

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.