Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What type of constuction is this?

I am wanting to build a 24x30 or so garage. I am wanting to do this
cheaply. One time I read about a construction method where posts are
used then regular stick framing on top of that. But I cant remember
what the technique is called.

Is this a good way to go or is the traditional pole barn better. I
will be doing this entirely myself.

Any advice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I am wanting to build a 24x30 or so garage. I am wanting to do this
cheaply. One time I read about a construction method where posts are
used then regular stick framing on top of that. But I cant remember
what the technique is called.

Is this a good way to go or is the traditional pole barn better. I
will be doing this entirely myself.

Any advice.

I think you are just describing a modified pole barn in your first. If the
ground freezes where you are at either would probably be cheapest. If not
then slab with footing and steel, and pick the building style of your
choice. If finished interior wood frame or metal stud. If unfinished then
butler I beam construction... also, my dad recently put up a stressed sheet
metal building that doesn't seem to have any steel structural except in the
end caps. He said it was the cheapest for his application. Again the
ground does not freeze here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:44:24 -0700, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Check insurance policy and local building codes before building a wooden
garage...

Not permitted on this side of the pond!

Mark Rand (in the UK)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 25, 8:26*am, stryped wrote:
I am wanting to build a 24x30 or so garage. I am wanting to do this
cheaply. One time I read about a construction method where posts are
used then regular stick framing on top of that. But I cant remember
what the technique is called.

Is this a good way to go or is the traditional pole barn better. I
will be doing this entirely myself.

Any advice.

I believe it is called "post and beam".