Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default software for calculating optimal cut list on stock?

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:11:00 GMT, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message

Grant Erwin writes:

I have a problem which cannot be unique to me. I have to cut a whole
bunch of pieces of known length from several lengths of stock. What I
need is some
software which will run on a Windows box which can take as input the
piece lengths I need and also the material length (often 20') and tell
me how many
lengths of material I need to order and what size pieces to cut out
of each
piece of stock.

That's actually a variant on the "Knapsack Problem", which is one of
the standard problems we use to teach advanced algorithms. It turns
out that there are pathological cases for which no better solution
is known than just trying all the different possibilities and seeing
which one works best.

Kinda like calculating intersects. For some there is no exact answer,
just the level of precision you require?

I was going to order 15 lengths of 1x2x.120" rectangular stainless grade 304
tube. Then I got Marv Klotz's software, and found out I can get by with 13,
plus it gave me the exact cut list to give to the sawyer. Saved me over $300
just for asking!

Grant

I'm pleased to hear that it worked for you, Grant.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz