Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SOLVED -- the non-working ON/OFF/BRAKE switch on the lathe

I finally understood what was wrong. My own reconstruction of what
happened at some point prior to my lathe purchase, is as follows: the
missing spring holding the lower bar (see picture) broke or was
lost. Because of this, the lathe would not turn on. Then the dumbass
who was fixing the lathe tried to rewire the starter. To no
avail. Then he or she inserted red plastic blocks into the size 0
starter, therefore fixing it mechanically to be always on.

When I realized the nature of these red plastic blocks, the fix was
obvious: remove then, rewire the starter for a single non-momentary
switch, and use a spring to fix the original mechanical problem. I was
very lucky, because I had a nice coil spring assortment (pictured).

So, as of now, the problem is fully resolved and the ON/OFF/BRAKE
switch works great!

More pix at

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...On-Off-Switch/

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus13075" wrote in message
I finally understood what was wrong. My own reconstruction of what
happened at some point prior to my lathe purchase, is as follows: the
missing spring holding the lower bar (see picture) broke or was
lost. Because of this, the lathe would not turn on. Then the dumbass
who was fixing the lathe tried to rewire the starter. To no
avail. Then he or she inserted red plastic blocks into the size 0
starter, therefore fixing it mechanically to be always on.

When I realized the nature of these red plastic blocks, the fix was
obvious: remove then, rewire the starter for a single non-momentary
switch, and use a spring to fix the original mechanical problem. I was
very lucky, because I had a nice coil spring assortment (pictured).

So, as of now, the problem is fully resolved and the ON/OFF/BRAKE
switch works great!

you know, it's really amazing how many things I've picked up over the years
that were fine after some simple repair which some prior idiot had been
unable to perform, typically because the prior repair was made by somebody
with no understanding of the mechanism

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-14, William Noble wrote:

[...]

Indeedy. Gives some feeling of satisfaction.

However, I recall a number of things that I fscked up, due to the
exact above reason, but fortunately I can count them on the fingers of
my one hand.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:50:09 -0500, Ignoramus13075
wrote:

Indeedy. Gives some feeling of satisfaction.

However, I recall a number of things that I fscked up, due to the
exact above reason, but fortunately I can count them on the fingers of
my one hand.

You worded that rather strangely, where an inference can be made -
And what happened to the other hand?

Most people come equipped with two hands from the factory, each with
a complement of four fingers and one opposing thumb each - Was that
one of the fsckups?

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Indeedy. Gives some feeling of satisfaction.

However, I recall a number of things that I fscked up, due to the
exact above reason, but fortunately I can count them on the fingers of
my one hand.

You worded that rather strangely, where an inference can be made -
And what happened to the other hand?

Most people come equipped with two hands from the factory, each with
a complement of four fingers and one opposing thumb each - Was that
one of the fsckups?

I would use the second hand to count the fingers on the first hand
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/