Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I need some shaft coupling ideas

Folks, I am wanting to couple a square shaft (~.310inches) to a pulley of ~
2 to 4 inches in diameter with ~ .500 or .625 hole for the drive of this
pulley.

In other words, I need to go from a square shaft to a pulley.

If I can't do that, I guess that I will have to butt the shaft up to a motor
whereby the motor's shaft will be round.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

jb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 6, 12:52�pm, "Roger Jones" wrote:
Reis Supply has square holed sleeves.

Roger

Rober

How about REID Supply?

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Roger Jones" wrote:

Reis Supply has square holed sleeves.

http://www.reidsupply.com/results.as...leeve&N=0&Rn=1

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 14:27:22 -0500, "justme" wrote:

Folks, I am wanting to couple a square shaft (~.310inches) to a pulley of ~
2 to 4 inches in diameter with ~ .500 or .625 hole for the drive of this
pulley.

In other words, I need to go from a square shaft to a pulley.

If I can't do that, I guess that I will have to butt the shaft up to a motor
whereby the motor's shaft will be round.

Any ideas?

Buy a square hole clamp collar and screw it to the face of your
pulley. Turn a pilot on the collar to match the ID of the pulley if
concentricity is critical.

McMaster stocks the collars:

3325K12
Steel Square-Bore Two-Piece Clamp-on Collar 5/16" Bore, 1-1/16"
Outside Diameter, 5/16" Width
In stock at $13.13 Each

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 14:27:22 -0500, "justme" wrote:

Folks, I am wanting to couple a square shaft (~.310inches) to a pulley of ~
2 to 4 inches in diameter with ~ .500 or .625 hole for the drive of this
pulley.

In other words, I need to go from a square shaft to a pulley.

If I can't do that, I guess that I will have to butt the shaft up to a motor
whereby the motor's shaft will be round.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

jb

Broached adapters are available from Browning, Martin, Gates etc

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 6, 3:27*pm, "justme" wrote:
Folks, I am wanting to couple a square shaft (~.310inches) to a pulley of ~
2 to 4 inches in diameter with ~ .500 or .625 hole for the drive of this
pulley.
If I can't do that, I guess that I will have to butt the shaft up to a motor
whereby the motor's shaft will be round.
jb

A two-piece split adapter should be easy to make. Set the stock at a
45 degree angle to mill the vee grooves, cut down the mating surfaces
until they almost meet, drill and tap for two clamp screws, then
assemble it on the square stock to turn the round pulley mount and a
flange to keep it square. You could make the flange large enough for
screws to fasten the adapter to the pulley.

If the blanks aren't exactly at 45 degrees when you mill them both,
turn one piece around and it will fit.

I made a wrench for rusted brake line fittings this way except that
the groove is half a hexagon. The corners don't have to be perfect on
a wrench like this because it won't be used unless a flare nut wrench
has already mangled the fitting.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, guys. These are all excellent ideas.

However, due to time and my mill being down from a move, I will order some
from Reid.

This group always 'comes through'.

j/b