Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machining Copper

Are there any special tricks to machining copper ?

I need to bore out some half inch sock x mt adapters to add pipe to the
threaded end for thermowells.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I make copper EDM electrodes all the time. it wants to grab and smear. I
blunt all my tools with a short land of 0 rake right at the cutting edge. I
just use a stone. i use WD-40 for cutting lube.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cosmopolite wrote:
Are there any special tricks to machining copper ?

I need to bore out some half inch sock x mt adapters to add pipe to the
threaded end for thermowells.

Use evaporated milk (in a can) for cutting fluid. No kidding.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 6, 2:09 pm, Grant Erwin wrote:
Cosmopolite wrote:
Are there any special tricks to machining copper ?

I need to bore out some half inch sock x mt adapters to add pipe to the
threaded end for thermowells.

Use evaporated milk (in a can) for cutting fluid. No kidding.

Grant

Oh come on, you have to be kidding?

Surely it has to be OUT of the can? :-)

Lewis.

*****
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cosmopolite wrote:
Are there any special tricks to machining copper ?

I need to bore out some half inch sock x mt adapters to add pipe to the
threaded end for thermowells.

Use evaporated milk (in a can) for cutting fluid. No kidding.

Grant

Oh come on, you have to be kidding?

Surely it has to be OUT of the can? :-)

Lewis.

That metalworking fluid of yore, made famous by the radio jingle:

"No teats to pull, no hay to pitch...
"Just poke two holes in the son of a bitch."

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cosmopolite wrote:
Are there any special tricks to machining copper ?

I need to bore out some half inch sock x mt adapters to add pipe to the
threaded end for thermowells.

Use evaporated milk (in a can) for cutting fluid. No kidding.

Grant

Oh come on, you have to be kidding?

Surely it has to be OUT of the can? :-)

No teat to pull
No hay to pitch
Just punch two holes in the son-of-a-bitch.

Many more variations...
http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...22&btnG=Search

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in
message ...

That metalworking fluid of yore, made famous
by the radio jingle:

"No teats to pull, no hay to pitch...
"Just poke two holes in the son of a bitch."

--
Ed Huntress

Just blew diet Pepsi on monitor. Good one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BillM" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

That metalworking fluid of yore, made famous by the radio jingle:

"No teats to pull, no hay to pitch...
"Just poke two holes in the son of a bitch."

--
Ed Huntress

Just blew diet Pepsi on monitor. Good one.

My father taught me that when I was about four years old. My very proper
grandmother (DAR, WCTU, New England blueblood) almost had a stroke when I
recited it at Christmas dinner when I was five or six.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 16:53:14 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

Cosmopolite wrote:
Are there any special tricks to machining copper ?

I need to bore out some half inch sock x mt adapters to add pipe to the
threaded end for thermowells.

Use evaporated milk (in a can) for cutting fluid. No kidding.

Grant

Oh come on, you have to be kidding?

Surely it has to be OUT of the can? :-)

Lewis.

That metalworking fluid of yore, made famous by the radio jingle:

"No teats to pull, no hay to pitch...
"Just poke two holes in the son of a bitch."

I received a cartoon of that recently. Wunnerful! g

--
Jewish Zen:
Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated, already?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That metalworking fluid of yore, made famous by the radio jingle:

"No teats to pull, no hay to pitch...
"Just poke two holes in the son of a bitch."

--
Ed Huntress

Just blew diet Pepsi on monitor. Good one.

My father taught me that when I was about four years old. My very proper
grandmother (DAR, WCTU, New England blueblood) almost had a stroke when I
recited it at Christmas dinner when I was five or six.

--
Ed Huntress

And Dad was, no doubt, rolling on the floor, holding his sides from
laughing.

I know I would have been.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 05:25:01 -0500, "The Davenport's"
wrote:

That metalworking fluid of yore, made famous by the radio jingle:

"No teats to pull, no hay to pitch...
"Just poke two holes in the son of a bitch."

--
Ed Huntress

Just blew diet Pepsi on monitor. Good one.

My father taught me that when I was about four years old. My very proper
grandmother (DAR, WCTU, New England blueblood) almost had a stroke when I
recited it at Christmas dinner when I was five or six.

--
Ed Huntress

And Dad was, no doubt, rolling on the floor, holding his sides from
laughing.

I know I would have been.

Mike

In my case it was senior son telling Grandma

"Jack and Jill went up the hill
to fetch a pail of water
Jill forgot to take the pill
and now they have a daughter."

[...]