Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - The Greenest Show on Earth: Democrats Gear Up for Denver

You really can't make this stuff up...

http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB121434145793701111.html

The Wall Street Journal, 25 June 2008, page A1.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
You really can't make this stuff up...

http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB121434145793701111.html

The Wall Street Journal, 25 June 2008, page A1.

Joe Gwinn

Organic cotton: The problem is that Patagonia has it all tied up. That's
because they invested in it a long time ago, before it was fashionable. Now
Patagonia is one of the highest-profit clothing retailers in the business.
FWIW, ordinary cotton probably wrecks more land than any food crop. It's an
environmental bitch.

Welcome to the future of business, Joe. Note that both parties are on the
bandwagon. The rest will fall off.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:07:05 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Joseph Gwinn quickly quoth:

You really can't make this stuff up...

http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB121434145793701111.html

The Wall Street Journal, 25 June 2008, page A1.

I admire caterer Joanne Katz' skepticism and CEI libertarian (Pffft!,
Ed) Smith's suggestion of a virtual convention at their laptops in
their PJs.

Coors, in an effort to return the nastiness of Anna Flynn and the
flighty liberal Dems, should pull out 1 day before the convention.

P.S: The Director of Greening (Egad!) is a real babe, but I can't
imagine spending any time with her. Political Correctness, especially
when combined with Democratness, gives me the heebie jeebies.

P.P.S: I wonder how much those U.S.-grown, organic, embroidered,
union-made cotton fanny packs will end up costing here in the
U.S.A.... Muckin' Faroons.

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

All noise, no facts. Check your facts. (For one thing, the idea that the
packs have to be embroidered is a crock. Those people just didn't check out
the options. They're out there; I can name the manufacturers, if you want.)
And check out the sales history of Patagonia, Stonybrook Farms, Whole Foods
and New Belgium Brewers. That's where it's going. You're going where it's
not -- just like metalworking manufacturing in the US.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Wall Street Journal, 25 June 2008, page A1.

Joe Gwinn

Organic cotton: The problem is that Patagonia has it all tied up. That's
because they invested in it a long time ago, before it was fashionable.

Now
Patagonia is one of the highest-profit clothing retailers in the business.
FWIW, ordinary cotton probably wrecks more land than any food crop. It's

an
environmental bitch.

Welcome to the future of business, Joe. Note that both parties are on the
bandwagon. The rest will fall off.

--
Ed Huntress

I wonder how it is that any innovation happens in the business world. With
it being dominated by conservatives it's a surprise that they just don't do
everything exactly like they did it in the past. I know they want to. Maybe
that is why we have liberals. So there can be progress and change. The
liberals are always looking for a new and better way. Green is a good
example. How many conservatives or business run by conservatives are not
looking to go green compared to the ones that are? Do most agree with Larry
Kudlow and think we need to drill, drill, drill to the future? I'm sure most
businesses are resisting any changes. Whether it's in agriculture, tech, or
industrial sectors the liberals have seen the light and are moving to a
world where fossil fuel will be phased out in favor of alternative sources.
As usual they are being held back by conservatives. The Democratic national
convention will signalize the fact that the Democrats have embraced a new
way of doing things. The republican convention will be just more of what we
had in the past although they will throw in a few, we're for changes, while
they're at it. As usual. It'll be interesting to see if the public is ready
to follow the lead of the progressive Democrats or will buckle in to their
fears and stick with the tried and failed policies of the last decade. We'll
find out in November.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I'm not so sanguine about progressives, who tend to jump on these things too
easily. But sustainability won't be an option before very long. What I
expect to happen is a stricter accounting for externalities -- if you sell a
product in plastic bottles, you pay for their disposal at the manufacturer's
end. Then we'll find out what's efficient and what's not.

As for the Bushies' approach to things, I think something that happened
today puts it in perspective. The BLM has approved something like 60
drilling projects on federal land in recent years, all of them with a
blanket environmental approval. But they haven't allowed a single
solar-generation project. They put a halt to all of them a year ago, saying
they would need two years to evaluate their environmental impact. Today,
under pressure from a couple of Senators, they reversed themselves and said
they would allow some solar projects pending simultaneous environmental
review.

They use the laws for their convenience, and they do so to favor their
friends. It makes me want to punch them in the mouth.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
You really can't make this stuff up...

http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB121434145793701111.html

The Wall Street Journal, 25 June 2008, page A1.

Joe Gwinn

Organic cotton: The problem is that Patagonia has it all tied up. That's
because they invested in it a long time ago, before it was fashionable. Now
Patagonia is one of the highest-profit clothing retailers in the business.
FWIW, ordinary cotton probably wrecks more land than any food crop. It's an
environmental bitch.

I wasn't proposing deep analysis, but the story was too good to pass up.

And she is cute enough that she doesn't need to make sense.

Welcome to the future of business, Joe. Note that both parties are on the
bandwagon. The rest will fall off.

The politics of our time. Until something else comes along.

One can only hope that those bright-eyed young activists have learned
something about the real world.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Hawke" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Does your lovely wife have any new authors she recommends? Tell her I've been
hooked on Nora Roberts lately, she'll get a kick.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:22:11 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

[...]

Ed, embroidery -was- listed as a possible option. Maybe they were
looking only in CO for printers. Maybe union printers don't do soy
ink. Maybe printers in CO don't use soy inks, but it's really, really
common nowadays. Besides, all I was doing was mentioning the price
they were about to plunk down for that kind of greenery, including the
Director or Greening's salary.
Patagonia gets $32 a pop for a standard -nylon- pack. It appears that
Patagonia's cotton could all be imported, too. It doesn't give country
of origin but does list the global trade orgs for organics.

He supposedly "scoured the country" for this stuff. You'd think that
an order for 15,000 of something like that would tend to get some
interest from lots of fabricators. If they'd come to me, I'd have put
it together for them and stuck 'em with a large bill (after securing a
generous retainer for it.) Hmm, it's slow here. Maybe I should call
them...

And check out the sales history of Patagonia, Stonybrook Farms, Whole Foods
and New Belgium Brewers. That's where it's going. You're going where it's
not -- just like metalworking manufacturing in the US.

I couldn't find sales history on those, and the east coast Stonybrook
Farms (didn't see one in CO) seems to sell only apples and
blueberries.

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
You really can't make this stuff up...

http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB121434145793701111.html

The Wall Street Journal, 25 June 2008, page A1.

Joe Gwinn

Organic cotton: The problem is that Patagonia has it all tied up. That's
because they invested in it a long time ago, before it was fashionable.
Now
Patagonia is one of the highest-profit clothing retailers in the
business.
FWIW, ordinary cotton probably wrecks more land than any food crop. It's
an
environmental bitch.

I wasn't proposing deep analysis, but the story was too good to pass up.

And she is cute enough that she doesn't need to make sense.

Yeah, if she really looks like that.

Welcome to the future of business, Joe. Note that both parties are on the
bandwagon. The rest will fall off.

The politics of our time. Until something else comes along.

One can only hope that those bright-eyed young activists have learned
something about the real world.

I think they're a lot smarter than we were. I'm impressed with the
20-year-olds, of whom I know several because that's my son's age. It's
refreshing to be around some young people who aren't burned out with
cynicism, or just too tired for it all.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Hawke" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

She says, "why in the heck does he read Nora Roberts?" g

She's too busy to read these days. She's teaching summer school.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Hawke" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Tell her I'm so old now that I skip over the sex. I've run out of doorstop epic
fantasy, military adventure, space operas and paranormal suspense...so, Nora was
the next logical genre.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I think they're a lot smarter than we were. I'm impressed with the
20-year-olds, of whom I know several because that's my son's age. It's
refreshing to be around some young people who aren't burned out with
cynicism, or just too tired for it all.

They will learn eventually

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 07:53:00 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I think they're a lot smarter than we were. I'm impressed with the
20-year-olds, of whom I know several because that's my son's age. It's
refreshing to be around some young people who aren't burned out with
cynicism, or just too tired for it all.

They will learn eventually

You misspelled "RAPIDLY!", Wes.

Curmudgeonly yours,
LJ

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 02:58:52 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.. .

Does your lovely wife have any new authors she recommends? Tell her I've
been hooked on Nora Roberts lately, she'll get a kick.

She says, "why in the heck does he read Nora Roberts?" g

She's too busy to read these days. She's teaching summer school.

If she can't understand that, how could she -possibly- understand his
lesbianism?

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:22:11 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

They worked out long-term contracts with US growers to supply it, and
ginners and mills to produce the cloth. They also get cotton from Peru,
where they have similar deals.

There are now dozens of clothing makers using the stuff, mostly for fashion
items, so the market is expanding. But Patagonia was the pioneer. If you
went out on the open market and tried to buy it you'd have a hell of a
difficult time. You have to plan ahead.

He supposedly "scoured the country" for this stuff. You'd think that
an order for 15,000 of something like that would tend to get some
interest from lots of fabricators.

From fabricators, yes. The trouble it that they can't get the cotton.

If they'd come to me, I'd have put
it together for them and stuck 'em with a large bill (after securing a
generous retainer for it.) Hmm, it's slow here. Maybe I should call
them...

They have auditors and a testing lab.

And check out the sales history of Patagonia, Stonybrook Farms, Whole
Foods
and New Belgium Brewers. That's where it's going. You're going where it's
not -- just like metalworking manufacturing in the US.

I couldn't find sales history on those, and the east coast Stonybrook
Farms (didn't see one in CO) seems to sell only apples and
blueberries.

Yogurt, and milk, and a few other things. East coast, Chicago, and other
major cities. Huge growth. Now the 4th-largest yogurt maker. Something like
$300 million/year.

Patagonia, similar growth. Started with steel pitons for rock climbing.
Whole Foods has flattened out because they grew like a weed and attracted
lots of competition. New Belgium Brewers is now all over the west. It's the
2nd or 3rd largest microbrewer.

Every one of these companies employed a sustainability "mission" early in
their development. Now, every one of them has lower energy and some other
operating costs than their competition. They put their money into product
and they're all hugely successful.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Hawke" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

If you're up for reading some hard stuff, get your hands on a copy of _The
Conservative Mind: From Burke to Eliot_ by Russel Kirk. It will give you a
good idea of what's been going on in politics. You want the 7th Edition.
It's been around since the early '50s, but, like Adam Smith's _Wealth of
Nations_, everyone claims to know what it's about but hardly anyone has read
it. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 07:40:03 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Hawke" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Want me to burn you a DVD or two, from my Ebook collection? Im
catagorizing the new stuff over the holidays...my collection has
become a frightful hodgepodge and its somewhere around 100 gigs at the
moment,.....

Everything from scifi to military manuals (need to know how to lay in
a mortor or plant a mine field?) to biographies, to history, to
survival books and data etc etc etc, plus quite a few machine tool
manuals and text books....hum...I ought to burn those to dvd for
Iggy's website.....though...some are still under copyright Id
imagine....

formats are rtf, pdf, txt, doc, etc etc

I started sampling last night and got caught up reading a book on the
miltary of the Austro-Hungarian empire, the color plates were
fascinating....

Gunner

"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the
name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program
until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it
happened." -- Norman Thomas, American socialist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 02:58:52 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

Does your lovely wife have any new authors she recommends? Tell her I've
been hooked on Nora Roberts lately, she'll get a kick.

She says, "why in the heck does he read Nora Roberts?" g

She's too busy to read these days. She's teaching summer school.

If she can't understand that, how could she -possibly- understand his
lesbianism?

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine

It's enlightening to see how female authors portray men and women. For the
hundreds of books that Nora has written, she still has it all wrong. (Nobody
can understand my lesbianism!)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
snip
Want me to burn you a DVD or two, from my Ebook collection? Im
catagorizing the new stuff over the holidays...my collection has
become a frightful hodgepodge and its somewhere around 100 gigs at the
moment,.....

Everything from scifi to military manuals (need to know how to lay in
a mortor or plant a mine field?) to biographies, to history, to
survival books and data etc etc etc, plus quite a few machine tool
manuals and text books....hum...I ought to burn those to dvd for
Iggy's website.....though...some are still under copyright Id
imagine....

formats are rtf, pdf, txt, doc, etc etc

I started sampling last night and got caught up reading a book on the
miltary of the Austro-Hungarian empire, the color plates were
fascinating....

Gunner

I wish somebody would come up with an e-book device that I liked!

100 gig? That's kind of scary! I know just how much information that is.
Isn't it amazing that it will fit on about $10 worth of hard drive? At today's
level, how much unique information exists? How long before the entire human
collection will fit on a thumb drive?

In contrast, I look at the literally (pun intended) tons of books that I have
accumulated even with multiple trips to the half-price book store. God, I hate
schlepping books!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Hawke" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Truthfully, I hate reading "Hard Stuff". I view my reading time as escapism and
renewal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Hawke" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

That's what my wife does, too. I view it as penance for spending my time
looking down Marie's dress in English class.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 18:48:20 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

[...]

Indeed..its a bitch when you want to read while riding the white
porcelin tractor. I do have a book shelf in the loo. Shrug..but Ive
got about 6000 books around the house, on shelves or in storage...and
Ive read them all, some many times. Electronic format would be nice
to have in the bathroom, but keeping the shower steam from blowing it
out would be tough.

Ive tried the Sony...and it simply..to me...didnt "do it"

I use my PDA to read sometimes, but its screen is too small to be
comfortable.

Something with a screen about the size of a regular bigger sized book,
but not coffee table book sized, no more than about 3 lbs and utterly
water and dirt proof, with the ruggedness of a milspec device, for
less than $200..that would be the ticket...and on OS that is open
source so it could be improved., and able to play videos, dvds, mp3s
etc.

If my electronic format books were paper printed...I dont think there
would be room to live in the house. Or the foundations stout enough
to support the floors.

So Ive learned to set up the various Ebook readers on the puter to
minimize the PITA factor as best I can. Shrug

Some are very good..some are **** poor. Foxit Reader is pretty good.
as is the Microsoft Reader for .lit files

Mobipocket is one of the best for most formats

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ailsReader.asp

Free btw....

100 gig? That's kind of scary! I know just how much information that is.
Isn't it amazing that it will fit on about $10 worth of hard drive? At today's
level, how much unique information exists? How long before the entire human
collection will fit on a thumb drive?

I see MicroCenter is selling 1TB USB drives for about $300....a
freaking terrabyte. Not all that long ago, you couldnt touch a 40 meg
drive for $300

In contrast, I look at the literally (pun intended) tons of books that I have
accumulated even with multiple trips to the half-price book store. God, I hate
schlepping books!

I snag em from the thrift stores, which for some reason are always
hidiously short of science fiction. Does SciFi ever get
tossed/donated? Or do unwanted scifi simply enter a wormhole and
disappear?

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner
I wish somebody would come up with an e-book device that I liked!

Have you looked at Amazon's Kindle? I bought one a couple of months
ago and I really like it. There's some room for improvement, but it's
pretty good as is. The display is very good; I can read it in any
lighting that I could read a paper book in.

R,
Tom Q.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...on-kindle.html

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 22:05:13 -0400, Tom Quackenbush

Tom Gardner

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5664

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 22:05:13 -0400, Tom Quackenbush

Tom Gardner

http://www.bookeen.com/ebook/ebook-r...FQVxFQodsxjGuA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILiad_(E-book_Reader)

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. Something has to be done about the
lobbyists. They are ruining a perfectly good democracy. Between them and the
super rich it's getting really bad. Yesterday I saw on "untold wealth" two
statistics that were very depressing. The top 400 taxpayers incomes were 215
million dollars....each! The median income for Americans was $26,000. I
think that about sums up what is wrong with our system. With that kind of
wealth disparity the ordinary citizen has virtually no voice in the
government at all.

As for the change from fossil fuels I heard a guy on the radio last night
who was giving horror stories about what is coming when we really start
running out of oil, and he's predicting that is going to happen very
quickly. Everything from war to worldwide depression when the oil starts to
stop. He said that 48 countries supply almost all the oil and 33 of them
have already seen a decline in oil production capability. I could see it
happening. If anything really happens to the oil supply, like if Israel or
the U.S. attacks Iran, oil could go so high that it would put us into a
depression that rivals the one in the 1930s. We should have listened to
Jimmy Carter in 1979. Now we have to do what we should have done back then.
There's another blunder we can assign to Reagan. It wasn't morning in
America after all.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Fri, 04 Jul 2008 12:35:12 -0700
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

formats are rtf, pdf, txt, doc, etc etc

I started sampling last night and got caught up reading a book on the
miltary of the Austro-Hungarian empire, the color plates were
fascinating....

LOL!

The Definition of a Dullard is someone who goes to the dictionary
or encyclopedia, looks up what they came for, and closes the book. I'm
afraid to start packing the library. I'll find books I'd "forgotten".
I'm even more afraid for when I start unpacking the books in storage.
That could take a while.
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 18:55:57 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

wrote:
I wish somebody would come up with an e-book device that I liked!

Indeed..its a bitch when you want to read while riding the white
porcelin tractor. I do have a book shelf in the loo. Shrug..but Ive
got about 6000 books around the house, on shelves or in storage...and
Ive read them all, some many times. Electronic format would be nice
to have in the bathroom, but keeping the shower steam from blowing it
out would be tough.

I wonder if they make Kindle Kondoms...

Ive tried the Sony...and it simply..to me...didnt "do it"

I use my PDA to read sometimes, but its screen is too small to be
comfortable.

Something with a screen about the size of a regular bigger sized book,
but not coffee table book sized, no more than about 3 lbs and utterly
water and dirt proof, with the ruggedness of a milspec device, for
less than $200..that would be the ticket...and on OS that is open
source so it could be improved., and able to play videos, dvds, mp3s
etc.

Once the Kindles get down to $30 or so, I may try one. Until then, I'm
happy with small, lightweight, take-anywhere paperbacks, TYVM.

If my electronic format books were paper printed...I dont think there
would be room to live in the house. Or the foundations stout enough
to support the floors.

So sell/give away those you've read and aren't saving for reference,
boy.

--LJ, who's sitting on at least 250 books he hasn't yet eBayed.

--
Jewish Zen:
Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated, already?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

They will learn eventually

You misspelled "RAPIDLY!", Wes.

Curmudgeonly yours,
LJ

I think some of them are very slow.

Wes the Cynic.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
Tom Quackenbush wrote:

snip
Have you looked at Amazon's Kindle? I bought one a couple of months
ago and I really like it. There's some room for improvement, but it's
pretty good as is. The display is very good; I can read it in any
lighting that I could read a paper book in.

http://www.bookeen.com/ebook/ebook-r...FQVxFQodsxjGuA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILiad_(E-book_Reader)

Thanks for the links.

I probably would have bought an Iliad if Amazon hadn't come out
with the Kindle. I think I'd like the larger display and flexiblity in
document formats. I think that we may have discussed the prospect of
the Iliad a couple of years ago.

I did look at the Sony product, but didn't see any real advantages
other than price. I saw some references to the Cybook, but figured the
Kindle would have better support.

The article about the second generation Kindle was interesting,
thanks. I wonder what Amazon's policy on upgrading or transferring an
older unit will be. g

R,
Tom Q.