Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is the proper lubricant for a four jaw chuck

such as burnerd.

thanks

photos at 11.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a medium grease - from a grease gun... fill the chuck.
It is intended to keep chips out or keep them on the outside ring.
Also plenty to move about in the guides the teeth of the jaws move in.

That way on my metal and wood chucks.

If you use cutting fluid or some spray... it might 'melt' some of it out
so another reason for a full body.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Ignoramus4323 wrote:
such as burnerd.

thanks

photos at 11.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I have a medium grease - from a grease gun... fill the chuck.
It is intended to keep chips out or keep them on the outside ring.
Also plenty to move about in the guides the teeth of the jaws move in.

That way on my metal and wood chucks.

If you use cutting fluid or some spray... it might 'melt' some of it out
so another reason for a full body.

Good lord! If you spin the lathe fast, the entire room will be painted
with the stuff! There are some enclosed chucks that can handle this,
like for pure CNC turning centers, but they cost ten grand!

I use a light oil, wiped on with a rag, when I fully disassemble and
clean my chucks. This only slings a few drops first time you start up.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

I have a medium grease - from a grease gun... fill the chuck.
It is intended to keep chips out or keep them on the outside ring.
Also plenty to move about in the guides the teeth of the jaws move in.

That way on my metal and wood chucks.

If you use cutting fluid or some spray... it might 'melt' some of it out
so another reason for a full body.

Good lord! If you spin the lathe fast, the entire room will be painted
with the stuff! There are some enclosed chucks that can handle this,
like for pure CNC turning centers, but they cost ten grand!

I use a light oil, wiped on with a rag, when I fully disassemble and
clean my chucks. This only slings a few drops first time you start up.

Jon

here are a coupla old posts I archived:

"My choice (for lubricating lathe chucks) is Dow Corning G-N Metal Assembly
Paste. It is a light bodied grease loaded with moly graphite and other solid
lubes. A very thin film on the scroll and other friction surfaces makes for a
very smooth action that lasts a long time. All chucks eventually have to be
taken apart to remove chips but the thin lube film causes minimal build up."

-- "I have used Molykote GN Metal Assembly paste for years with good results.
It is loaded with extreme pressure solid lubricant particles in a light grease
base. A thin coat over all the bearing surfaces lasts a long time and doesn't
attract chips. It is also available as an aerosol spray. It is pricey but
worth it IMHO as it lasts a long time."

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4323 wrote:

such as burnerd.

thanks

photos at 11.

Wow, everyone will have ideas. At work our cnc chucks are lubed with black moly based
grease. For an engine lathe chuck. a drop of oil in the right places works for me.

Oil/grease does two things. Lubricates and attracts stuff. A secondary effect is that
that centrifugal effects tosses it places.

So to cut to the chase, lube lightly with something, and clean debris that is atracted
periodically.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-02, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus4323 wrote:

such as burnerd.

thanks

photos at 11.

Wow, everyone will have ideas. At work our cnc chucks are lubed with black moly based
grease. For an engine lathe chuck. a drop of oil in the right places works for me.

Oil/grease does two things. Lubricates and attracts stuff. A secondary effect is that
that centrifugal effects tosses it places.

So to cut to the chase, lube lightly with something, and clean debris that is atracted
periodically.

I lubed it with moderate amount of medium nondrying oil. Thanks to
all.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My chucks are enclosed. I have one 4 jaw for my wood lathe that
is bare bones - and it gets dusted and sometimes oil if it is to sit.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Jon Elson wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I have a medium grease - from a grease gun... fill the chuck.
It is intended to keep chips out or keep them on the outside ring.
Also plenty to move about in the guides the teeth of the jaws move in.

That way on my metal and wood chucks.

If you use cutting fluid or some spray... it might 'melt' some of it out
so another reason for a full body.

Good lord! If you spin the lathe fast, the entire room will be painted
with the stuff! There are some enclosed chucks that can handle this,
like for pure CNC turning centers, but they cost ten grand!

I use a light oil, wiped on with a rag, when I fully disassemble and
clean my chucks. This only slings a few drops first time you start up.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 20:27:02 GMT, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

[...]

My prefered coolant is high sulpher cutting oil...I dont have those
problems.

Though..I do have some nifty Tshirts......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 19:57:14 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

Ignoramus4323 wrote:

such as burnerd.

thanks

photos at 11.

Wow, everyone will have ideas. At work our cnc chucks are lubed with black moly based
grease. For an engine lathe chuck. a drop of oil in the right places works for me.

Oil/grease does two things. Lubricates and attracts stuff. A secondary effect is that
that centrifugal effects tosses it places.

So to cut to the chase, lube lightly with something, and clean debris that is atracted
periodically.

Maybe put a newspaper catcher around it and spin it up to full speed
right after lubing to catch most of the centripetal toss?

(That word change ought to get things going around here.

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine

Scroll Chuck lubricant John Wilson Metalworking 4 May 23rd 08 04:40 PM
Using ATF as a Way Lubricant [email protected] Metalworking 12 May 13th 08 07:01 PM
T-9 Lubricant Ron Woodworking 2 March 13th 07 04:27 AM
Lubricant David Metalworking 20 December 20th 05 06:29 AM
QC lubricant? Rex B Metalworking 7 May 22nd 05 12:02 AM