Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Delrin square tubing or angle bar?

Anybody know where to buy Delrin square tubing or angle bar? About
3/32" to 1/8" thick.

I don't know if "angle bar" is the proper terminology, what I mean
is like flat bar that is folded 90° along its length (common for
steel/aluminum).

Hollow round tubing probably won't work.

Thank you.

--
My in-line street skates (a.k.a. rollerblades).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/

Currently ignoring most Google Groups spammers and nym-shifting
trolls.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 26, 1:23*am, John Doe wrote:
Anybody know where to buy Delrin square tubing or angle bar? About
3/32" to 1/8" thick.

I don't know if "angle bar" is the proper terminology, what I mean
is like flat bar that is folded 90° along its length (common for
steel/aluminum).

Hollow round tubing probably won't work.

Thank you.

Hollow round tubing "probably" won't work? Given that you'll have a
much easier time finding round tubing than square tubing or angle,
wouldn't it make sense to first rule it definitively in or out?

You can readily get Delrin in rounds, round tube, squares, flats or
sheets. Even hexes. Square tubing and angle may be available, but
are certainly not common. You could, of course, mill the angle stock
out of solid squares.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

Wouldn't it warp?

Probably depends, some Delrin compositions are advertised not to absorb
moisture.

--
My in-line street skates (a.k.a. rollerblades).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/

Currently ignoring most Google Groups spammers and nym-shifting trolls.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Martin wrote:

On Jun 26, 1:23*am, John Doe wrote:
Anybody know where to buy Delrin square tubing or angle bar? About
3/32" to 1/8" thick.

Hollow round tubing probably won't work.

Hollow round tubing "probably" won't work? Given that you'll have a
much easier time finding round tubing than square tubing or angle,
wouldn't it make sense to first rule it definitively in or out?

You can readily get Delrin in rounds, round tube, squares, flats or
sheets. Even hexes. Square tubing and angle may be available, but
are certainly not common.

Maybe I should have said "it won't work as well" or "a round piece or
solid square piece doesn't suit the application like an angled piece
would".

Easy to find shapes are not completely ruled out, they just aren't
best for the design. I could have gone into more detail about the
contingency, but my main concern is that I haven't overlooked some
place to buy angled pieces.

You could, of course, mill the angle stock out of solid squares.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:54:35 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

Wouldn't it warp?

Probably depends, some Delrin compositions are advertised not to absorb
moisture.

I was thinking more of the extrusion stresses being relieved if
milling angle from the square. If you could find extruded profile
angle, that should be fine.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Jun 26, 1:23*am, John Doe wrote:
Anybody know where to buy Delrin square tubing or angle bar? About
3/32" to 1/8" thick.

I don't know if "angle bar" is the proper terminology, what I mean
is like flat bar that is folded 90° along its length (common for
steel/aluminum).

Hollow round tubing probably won't work.

Thank you.

Hollow round tubing "probably" won't work? *Given that you'll have a
much easier time finding round tubing than square tubing or angle,
wouldn't it make sense to first rule it definitively in or out?

You can readily get Delrin in rounds, round tube, squares, flats or
sheets. *Even hexes. *Square tubing and angle may be available, but
are certainly not common. *You could, of course, mill the angle stock
out of solid squares.

John Martin

Wouldn't it warp?- Hide quoted text -

Might. If he needs 1" x 1/8" angle, milling from 1" square bar would
yield pieces likely to warp, in addition to being extremely wasteful.
On the other hand, milling 1/4" x 1/8" angle from 1/4" square bars
would probably be fine.

Without knowing the size wanted, and knowing the lengths he plans to
use, it's hard to say how much warping there would be. And whether
the piece would be constrained by the rest of the structure, or
whether warping would even be a problem.

He's obviously done some searching for the angle and square tube
Delrin, without success. My only point was that, before giving up on
the round tube and searching for something that may not even exist, he
ought to definitively rule it in or out.

John Martin