Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting find at Harbor Freight...

Just noticed this on the HF site today, haven't seen it previously,
items 94831 / 94884, two sizes of portable gantries. Unlike the other
gantry they have had for some time, these are designed to be broken down
and transported, something of value to us HSM folks retrieving machines
from odd locations. The pdf manual
(http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...4999/94831.pdf) is also
worth downloading since it's quite detailed, almost plans for DIY
versions.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 14:18:08 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pete C." quickly quoth:

Just noticed this on the HF site today, haven't seen it previously,
items 94831 / 94884, two sizes of portable gantries. Unlike the other
gantry they have had for some time, these are designed to be broken down
and transported, something of value to us HSM folks retrieving machines
from odd locations. The pdf manual
(http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...4999/94831.pdf) is also
worth downloading since it's quite detailed, almost plans for DIY
versions.

I picked up a 2-ton portable crane (engine hoist) at HF today for
$147. I completely forgot that I had a 15% off coupon. Duh!

That portable gantry might be just the ticket for small lifts, but it
wouldn't support anything with a 3-phase motor, like ALL old arn.
shrug

--

To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change
the world who are causing all the trouble --Anonymous
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

The 1T version would cover a great deal. The actual manufacturer makes
2t, 3t and 5t models as well: http://www.wellculip.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 08:32:08 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pete C." quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
I picked up a 2-ton portable crane (engine hoist) at HF today for
$147. I completely forgot that I had a 15% off coupon. Duh!

That portable gantry might be just the ticket for small lifts, but it
wouldn't support anything with a 3-phase motor, like ALL old arn.
shrug

The 1T version would cover a great deal. The actual manufacturer makes
2t, 3t and 5t models as well: http://www.wellculip.com

The problem with a 1T is that to lift that weight, it has to be at its
shortest length. The 2T can work at double that length. For $50 more,
it's worth it to me even if I dont lift a ton.

--

To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change
the world who are causing all the trouble --Anonymous
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have that crane. Aside from ****ty casters, the crane is wonderful
and served me a lot, until I equipped my truck with a truck crane. Now
it is used a lot less, but it is a great, A+ item. It is stored
outside and seems to age well.

Mine is a 2 ton version. 1 ton is not god enough IMO.

Larry Jaques wrote:
I picked up a 2-ton portable crane (engine hoist) at HF today for
$147. I completely forgot that I had a 15% off coupon. Duh!

That portable gantry might be just the ticket for small lifts, but it
wouldn't support anything with a 3-phase motor, like ALL old arn.
shrug

The 1T version would cover a great deal. The actual manufacturer makes
2t, 3t and 5t models as well: http://www.wellculip.com

The problem with a 1T is that to lift that weight, it has to be at its
shortest length. The 2T can work at double that length. For $50 more,
it's worth it to me even if I dont lift a ton.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
I picked up a 2-ton portable crane (engine hoist) at HF today for
$147. I completely forgot that I had a 15% off coupon. Duh!

That portable gantry might be just the ticket for small lifts, but it
wouldn't support anything with a 3-phase motor, like ALL old arn.
shrug

The 1T version would cover a great deal. The actual manufacturer makes
2t, 3t and 5t models as well: http://www.wellculip.com

The problem with a 1T is that to lift that weight, it has to be at its
shortest length. The 2T can work at double that length. For $50 more,
it's worth it to me even if I dont lift a ton.

I take it you didn't actually look at the item. It's a *gantry* crane,
not an engine hoist. It doesn't have a length adjustment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 17:54:29 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pete C." quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
I picked up a 2-ton portable crane (engine hoist) at HF today for
$147. I completely forgot that I had a 15% off coupon. Duh!

That portable gantry might be just the ticket for small lifts, but it
wouldn't support anything with a 3-phase motor, like ALL old arn.
shrug

The 1T version would cover a great deal. The actual manufacturer makes
2t, 3t and 5t models as well: http://www.wellculip.com

The problem with a 1T is that to lift that weight, it has to be at its
shortest length. The 2T can work at double that length. For $50 more,
it's worth it to me even if I dont lift a ton.

I take it you didn't actually look at the item. It's a *gantry* crane,
not an engine hoist. It doesn't have a length adjustment.

I looked at the portable HF gantry yesterday, but I didn't go to the
Wellculip site until now. I was referring to the shop cranes, not the
gantry cranes.

I would think that a shop crane would have more use in a shop than a
gantry crane because of its better mobility. A gantry is great for
straight shots, giving you more access from all sides, though.

It took about 45 minutes to find the tools to bolt my 2T foldable shop
crane together and store her in the shop just now.

--

To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change
the world who are causing all the trouble --Anonymous
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

My points were that the new gantry was a neat design intended to be
portable and easy to break down and assemble, as well as the manual
having quite a bit of detail making it a good reference for a DIY
version.

I would think that a shop crane would have more use in a shop than a
gantry crane because of its better mobility.

Perhaps, but I have both a forklift and an engine hoist in my shop.

A gantry is great for
straight shots, giving you more access from all sides, though.

Also great for lifting stuff to back a trailer under as might be the
case when picking up a new machine.

It took about 45 minutes to find the tools to bolt my 2T foldable shop
crane together and store her in the shop just now.

Ow, time to invest in more tool chests and/or pegboard.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 21:44:37 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pete C." quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
I looked at the portable HF gantry yesterday, but I didn't go to the
Wellculip site until now. I was referring to the shop cranes, not the
gantry cranes.

My points were that the new gantry was a neat design intended to be
portable and easy to break down and assemble, as well as the manual
having quite a bit of detail making it a good reference for a DIY
version.

ACK that.

I would think that a shop crane would have more use in a shop than a
gantry crane because of its better mobility.

Perhaps, but I have both a forklift and an engine hoist in my shop.

Oh, if it's more tools you're after, lad, by all means buy a portable
gantry crane! I'm sure you could find uses for it places that
landlubber forklifts and hoists won't go, even if you have to put
booties over the casters lest they be soiled.

A gantry is great for
straight shots, giving you more access from all sides, though.

Also great for lifting stuff to back a trailer under as might be the
case when picking up a new machine.

work, though. I'd sooner invest in a dropbed trailer than a gantry.

It took about 45 minutes to find the tools to bolt my 2T foldable shop
crane together and store her in the shop just now.

Ow, time to invest in more tool chests and/or pegboard.

Nah, I have plenty of chests and toolbags. I just can't find a path
through the _shop_ with all the crap in there right now. I really need
to build another shop and put the metalworking stuff in there. But a
carport for the new truck and a new roof on the pumphouse come first.

--

To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change
the world who are causing all the trouble --Anonymous
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would think that a shop crane would have more use in a shop than a
gantry crane because of its better mobility.

Perhaps, but I have both a forklift and an engine hoist in my shop.

A gantry is great for
straight shots, giving you more access from all sides, though.

Also great for lifting stuff to back a trailer under as might be the
case when picking up a new machine.

My application is moving heavy stuff on a dirt surface, and the shop
crane has the advantage over a gantry because add-on wider wheels work
better on fixed axles than on swivel casters. I've put extra outer
wheels on casters but any obstacle twists them. The load can be
lowered onto the base of the crane and secured so it doesn't swing and
topple. When the jack and boom are removed it's stable towed behind my
tractor. I think a gantry would tip over too easily if you tried to
tow it with a hanging load.

A gantry would be better for loading a truck on pavement but the bed-
mounted crane I have is adequate and my driveway slopes. I've been
thinking about making a gantry for uneven ground out of a beam hanging
from a chain-link-fence-post tripod at each end. I have one such
tripod that has held 3000 Lbs when pulling a stump.

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 14:18:08 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Just noticed this on the HF site today, haven't seen it previously,
items 94831 / 94884, two sizes of portable gantries. Unlike the other
gantry they have had for some time, these are designed to be broken down
and transported, something of value to us HSM folks retrieving machines
from odd locations. The pdf manual
(http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...4999/94831.pdf) is also
worth downloading since it's quite detailed, almost plans for DIY
versions.

I gotta check the calendar. Must be a comprehension holiday, huh,
Pete.

--Andy Asberry--

Harbor Freight DMM Jim Yanik Home Repair 5 June 5th 06 03:09 PM
Harbor Freight tmurf.1 Home Repair 30 May 26th 06 07:31 PM
Harbor Freight does it again... Pete C. Metalworking 58 January 11th 06 04:36 AM
Harbor Freight DC Jimmy Woodworking 12 November 18th 05 05:11 PM
More on Harbor Freight DC mac davis Woodworking 11 November 22nd 04 08:20 PM