Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default mystery funnels

I just sent off a jpeg of a couple of "mystery funnels" to the drop box
(http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/mystery-funnels.JPG) - below is the
contents of the accompanying text file - I'd sure appreciate it if someone
recognized what these things are - they could be for oxygen masks, or maybe
a "pilot relief tube", or ??? I'm trying to figure out if they are
something worth keeping after all these years, or if I make them into a
sculpture or a lamp or something like that.

here are two "mystery funnels" - the slots near hte rim look like they would
take elastic, the end of the tube part has a small lump like you would use
with medical style rubber hose, the OD of the tubing part is .370 inches.
They are 2.5 inches wide, made out of brass, I believe, and chrome plated on
the outside - I got them in a big pile of stuff many years ago from a guy
who had sold his house to move out of state (to a nursing home perhaps) and
had a lot of aircraft surplus from the old Douglas plant where they built
DC-3s (clover field in Santa Monica), but I have no particular reason to
believe these are aircraft related, though they may be.

What the heck are they?

--
Bill
www.wbnoble.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When you are laid up in bed, and can't get up - they strap that on you!
Elastic bands through the slots -

That is before they were such and inserted something.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

William Noble wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"William Noble" wrote:

[...]

Just a guess... how bout part of the funnel end of an old training
aircraft 'Gosport' tube intercom system. Not so sure 'intercom' would
actually be the proper term, as I recall reading they were set up one
way only, making it easy for instructor's to scream at their cadet.

I Googled a little, but didn't come up with a photo.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Bill,

Not a clue what their purpose might be, but I doubt they were for
anything aircraft related where skin on ANY part of your body might
come in contact with REALLY cold metal at altitude .

Yikes.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:48:45 -0700, "William Noble"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
When you are laid up in bed, and can't get up - they strap that on you!
Elastic bands through the slots -

That is before they were such and inserted something.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

so, a precursor to a catheter - what might it be called so I can find a
picture and see if that is right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"William Noble" wrote:

[...]

My suspicion is that they are medical facemasks for the mouth, probably
used for ether or nitrous oxide anaesthesia circa 1900.
http://www.oyston.com/history/

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 May 2008 09:59:13 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Joseph Gwinn quickly quoth:

In article ,
"William Noble" wrote:

[...]

Nah, they're portapeckers for girls. Now women everywhere can write
their name in the snow with the best of us!

--

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"William Noble" wrote:

[...]

You MAY be right, but I don't think so - the things fit nicely over one's
mouth, but not over one's nose or certainly not nose and mouth, so that
would suggest it's not for anesthesia - but it might be part of a pilot's
breathing aparatus where one could reasonably breathe through the mouth, or
it might go with a separate rubber seal and cover more volume - all in all,
quite a mystery. -

I'm actually kinda surprised someone hasn't said "oh yeah, those things - I
used to use them when I ....... " because there is so much variety on this
group.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Noble" wrote:

You MAY be right, but I don't think so - the things fit nicely over one's
mouth, but not over one's nose or certainly not nose and mouth, so that
would suggest it's not for anesthesia - but it might be part of a pilot's
breathing aparatus where one could reasonably breathe through the mouth, or
it might go with a separate rubber seal and cover more volume - all in all,
quite a mystery. -

Mouth or venting the pecker. Wash before experimenting
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Noble" wrote:

[...]

Not anything like any relief tube I've used (they are still very common on
military aircraft). It looks to me like one of those things you speak into
on a ship. Someone previosly gave the name. There's an old WWII movie with
something very similar hanging around a sailors neck by a strap that would
go through those slots on the side. I'm thinking the movie was the one
where John Wayne saves a destroyer? from Pearl Harbor, but I don't remember
the name.

Wayne Sippola

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"William Noble" wrote:

[...]

They look like nitrous oxide inhalers, just missing the rubber boot that
went around them. They kind of look like Evans dental equipment style.
They used separate pieces, one nasal and one oral. The idea was that you
put both on and knocked out the patient, then kept the nasal on while
you did oral surgery. The nasal flow allowed the gas to keep the patient
out longer. There were a few companies that made them that way though.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

They look a little like speaking tubes, but not from a ship. the ones on
ships had a whistle that plugged into each end. I have seen these in use
between the bridge and engine room of an old ship. The caller would remove
the whistle, and blow into the mouth piece. That would blow the whistle on
the other end. The person on the receiving end would then remove the
whistle, and reply, the place the cone to his ear for the message. similar
devices were used in carriages, taxis, and large houses with servants. The
tube on these is too small for communication, and the provision for a strap
eliminates these from the speaking tube category.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Mystery gas Tim Downie[_2_] UK diy 14 January 22nd 08 08:53 PM
mystery pic Phil Allison Electronic Schematics 4 June 13th 07 03:06 PM
Well Mystery [email protected] Home Ownership 18 November 28th 06 03:55 AM
Tap mystery Paul Andrews UK diy 10 May 24th 06 10:01 AM
Name That Mystery Box Harry Home Repair 3 July 25th 05 05:52 AM