Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default boring oversize parts

I have an aluminum tube that I need to bore about 1" at end out to at
least 5.57" -- it varies from about 5.47" to about 5.60".
Unfortunately, this is too big to put on my Sherline lathe--it won't
fit onto the outside of chuck that I can find for the Sherline. I
have this vague notion that there might be some way to do this by
putting an end mill in the headstock and rotating the workpiece so
that the end mill removes a fairly consistent layer. This doesn't
have to be spectacularly precise. I tried this approach, and except
that I couldn't figure out a way to get the workpiece to turn
consistently (since it wasn't supported), it almost seemed to work.

Does anyone have any clever ways to do what I am trying to do, without
breaking down and buying a bigger lathe? Some clever way to mount the
tube on a 3.5" OD chuck, for example?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I have an aluminum tube that I need to bore about 1" at end out to at
least 5.57" -- it varies from about 5.47" to about 5.60".
Unfortunately, this is too big to put on my Sherline lathe--it won't
fit onto the outside of chuck that I can find for the Sherline. I
have this vague notion that there might be some way to do this by
putting an end mill in the headstock and rotating the workpiece so
that the end mill removes a fairly consistent layer. This doesn't
have to be spectacularly precise. I tried this approach, and except
that I couldn't figure out a way to get the workpiece to turn
consistently (since it wasn't supported), it almost seemed to work.

Does anyone have any clever ways to do what I am trying to do, without
breaking down and buying a bigger lathe? Some clever way to mount the
tube on a 3.5" OD chuck, for example?

One piece? Buy a bigger lathe...farm it out...Buy a bigger lathe...farm it
out...Buy a bigger lathe...farm it out...Hmmmm.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 May 2008 20:08:15 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have an aluminum tube that I need to bore about 1" at end out to at
least 5.57" -- it varies from about 5.47" to about 5.60".
Unfortunately, this is too big to put on my Sherline lathe--it won't
fit onto the outside of chuck that I can find for the Sherline. I
have this vague notion that there might be some way to do this by
putting an end mill in the headstock and rotating the workpiece so
that the end mill removes a fairly consistent layer. This doesn't
have to be spectacularly precise. I tried this approach, and except
that I couldn't figure out a way to get the workpiece to turn
consistently (since it wasn't supported), it almost seemed to work.

Does anyone have any clever ways to do what I am trying to do, without
breaking down and buying a bigger lathe? Some clever way to mount the
tube on a 3.5" OD chuck, for example?

If you can find a way to clamp the tube on the compound so that it is
centered vertically on the headstock center (you an align it
horizontally with the cross feed) you could make a fly cutter sort of
tool to bore the inside of the tube.

Or use a four jawed chuck, maybe with the jaws turned around and some
blocking to hold the inside of the tube while you bore the other end.

Or machine a two diameter arbor. The larger diameter presses into the
tube, the smaller diameter fits your chuck.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Simple - if the part will fit over the ways.

Make a bit you CAN hold in the chuck. Larger is better. Bore a recess in
the face of the bit, big enough that you can reach in with a spanner and
turn the heads of four bolts that go sideways to the axis of the lathe, for
which bolts you have drilled and threaded holes. In essence you are making
a simple four-jaw chuck with outward-moving jaws. The work holding will be
poor; if you can live with marks on the inside of the non-machined section
make the ends of the bolts pointy.

Mount part and centre, bore (carefully) to suit.

If your part is long you'll have to use/make a steady as well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 7, 8:08 pm, wrote:
I have an aluminum tube that I need to bore about 1" at end out to at
least 5.57" -- it varies from about 5.47" to about 5.60".
Unfortunately, this is too big to put on my Sherline lathe--it won't
fit onto the outside of chuck that I can find for the Sherline.

Dangerous way follows:
Make a spacer to fit between your internal jays, and the tube.
Get a piece of 3/4" hardwood, maybe 6" x 6".
Center drill it.
Bandsaw it oversize to fit into your tube.
Using the tailstock to press the part against a chuck face, turn the
OD to just fit inside the tube.
Now bore the part to fit over your chuck jaws, being careful NOT to
break thru until the final pass.
Split the ring in one place.

Install wood adapter over jaws, tube over adapter, tighten, dial
indicate OD or ID, TIGHTEN.
Turn slowly, light cuts.
Duck, cuss, clean shorts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Depends what other facilities you have. Since the tube is larger than the
swing of the lathe you are going to have to make the lathe bigger.

Buy a 2" boring head and turn up an adaptor to fit it to the mandrel nose of
the Shereline. This is going to be a bit heavy for the lathe to hold but it
should manage and can be adapted to fit other lathes or mills you might get in
the future.

Remove the tailstock.

Get a piece of 1.5" to 2" thick aluminium cut and drilled to size to make a
rising block to lift the headstock up to cope with the diameter of the pipe.

Get another large piece of aluminium to clamp onto the cross slide. Drill for
clamps, rough cut a radius in one edge with bandsaw, chain drilling, whatever.

Lock the cross slide gibs (don't want them moving 'till the end of the job).
Clamp the aluminium block to the cross slide

Use the boring head to cut a the radiused edge to the radius of the outside of
the tube.

You now have a work holder on the cross slide that will hold the tube
accurately on centre. Use your third hand/a friend/roller skate/pet cat to
steady the far end of the tube. Use the boring head to bore the tube to the
right diameter.

You'll probably need to use a sharp HSS bit in the boring head and take small
cuts throughout even with aluminium, due to the large diameter you are
cutting.

This may be more precise than you want, it is also a lot of work. But it will
give the result.

You did ask :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM