Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chop saw or band saw

Michael Koblic wrote:
I have an occasional need to cut stock of up to 2 inch diameter (or square,
shapes differ). I have been thinking of making my life easier and investing
in a chop saw. However, recently I came across a phenomenon called a
portable band saw. I have never seen this tool first hand. I understand that
it is capable of cutting up to 4 inches. It can be operated off-hand or a
stand is available which then allows the saw to be used as a chop saw
including cutting accurate miters.

All I have seen is pictures of the tools made by various companies and some
rave reviews of the same.

Does anyone here have first hand experience with these tools? Can you
compare them to chop saws? What are the benefits and limitations?

I do a lot of fabrication type work and started out with a chop saw.
Later, I bought a Portaband handheld bandsaw. I built a miter stand for
the Portaband and it is great! I hae not used the chop saw since I got
the band saw.

The other gentleman raised some good points about the use of a chop saw
for cutting very hard or unknown materials, but I work with new stock
almost completely.

The kerf width with a chop saw is around 1/4", often tapered and varies
as the blade wears. A bandsaw in a stand cuts a constant width, straight
kerf that is about 1/16" wide.

The chop saw is really noisy and sprays a large fan of sparks, making it
difficult to use inside. A bandsaw is relatively quiet and does not
spray sparks. Quiet is good for me becuase I live in the desert and if I
am working in the summer, it is usually at 4:00 AM and quiet tools keep
neighbor problems down.

If major portability is not a requirement, I think I would look at one
of the small horizontal bandsaws. I tried the Portaband without a stand
and found it very difficult to get accurate, straight cuts. With the
stand, the Portaband is really a small horizontal bandsaw. Maybe buying
one that is already set up would have been a better idea?

Good Luck,
Bob