Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Varmint Al's pages

I tripped over these web pages from a retired machinist.
Interesting stories about his Father's welding biz and
working the

http://www.varmintal.com/apopt.htm

And some nice mods on his mini-lathe:

http://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm

Enjoy,
Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

remove nospam wrote:
I tripped over these web pages from a retired machinist.
Interesting stories about his Father's welding biz and
working the

http://www.varmintal.com/apopt.htm

And some nice mods on his mini-lathe:

http://www.varmintal.com/alath.htm

Enjoy,
Chris

in 2000, Al's web page pushed a a mini lathe. [I got one and it is crap].
He pushed a Tasco World Class Plus scope. [I got one, and it is crap].
He also got me to anneal brass with a flame until the brass glows. [I
did it and it is too hot].
He got me to buy a 17HMR. [Not as good as a .223.]

But I do like his idea for cleaning dies with Flitz and a Q tip. [I have
done it.]
I do like his idea for chamfering case mouths with steel wool in a
Copper pipe fitting in a lathe. [I have done it}
I do like his chart of 4140 RC hardness vs yield strength [I use this]
I do like his chart of cartridge brass hardness vs strength
I do like his method of comparing the finish of Flitz vs JB [I have done it]
I do like the idea of shooting ground squirrels. [Again, the .223 is
better].