Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Default Metalworking question - Did I get screwed?

I recently found a milling attachment for my Atlas lathe in a used tool
emporium.

It was missing the two square-head bolts that hold things in the vise.

I paid $25.00 US (Twenty-five dollars) for the tool.

Did I get screwed?

(Now removing tongue from cheek.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

* wrote:
I recently found a milling attachment for my Atlas lathe in a used tool
emporium.

It was missing the two square-head bolts that hold things in the vise.

I paid $25.00 US (Twenty-five dollars) for the tool.

Did I get screwed?

(Now removing tongue from cheek.)

If you can't see $25 PLUS two bolts in the attachment send it on to me
and I'll return your $25 PLUS shipping! ;-)

Seriously, how much trouble is it to get two replacement bolts? Surely
someone will stock them. You may need to know the diameter, length,
thread type, etc. Then I'd bet you can get them from McMaster Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Al
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 16, 8:29*am, "*" wrote:
I recently found a milling attachment for my Atlas lathe in a used tool
emporium.

It was missing the two square-head bolts that hold things in the vise.

I paid $25.00 US *(Twenty-five dollars) for the tool.

Did I get screwed?

You did if you expect it to make your lathe a decent milling machine.

Missing screws is better than mushroomed screws that won't come out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"*" wrote:

I recently found a milling attachment for my Atlas lathe in a used tool
emporium.

It was missing the two square-head bolts that hold things in the vise.

I paid $25.00 US (Twenty-five dollars) for the tool.

Did I get screwed?

(Now removing tongue from cheek.)

I'm thinking this was a gloat. Am I right?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A related topic, sort of the inverse of what the OP asked.

I have a mill, but no lathe.

I splurged once and bought a lathe chuck with R8 backing. I found out
that I could actually perform the most basic milling operations, such
as using a cutoff blade and reducing diameters. This chuck was already
useful once. Just curious if anyone else tried it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Wes wrote in article
"*" wrote:

I recently found a milling attachment for my Atlas lathe in a used tool
emporium.

It was missing the two square-head bolts that hold things in the vise.

I paid $25.00 US (Twenty-five dollars) for the tool.

Did I get screwed?

(Now removing tongue from cheek.)

I'm thinking this was a gloat. Am I right?

Wes

Guilty as charged....VBG

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Jim Wilkins wrote in article
On Apr 16, 8:29*am, "*" wrote:
I recently found a milling attachment for my Atlas lathe in a used tool
emporium.

It was missing the two square-head bolts that hold things in the vise.

I paid $25.00 US *(Twenty-five dollars) for the tool.

Did I get screwed?

You did if you expect it to make your lathe a decent milling machine.

Missing screws is better than mushroomed screws that won't come out.

----------

Naw...I have a milling machine.

I just couldn't pass up this bargain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Al Patrick wrote in article
cMednca48afGZJjVnZ2dnUVZ_ommnZ2d@telpage...
* wrote:
I recently found a milling attachment for my Atlas lathe in a used tool
emporium.

It was missing the two square-head bolts that hold things in the vise.

I paid $25.00 US (Twenty-five dollars) for the tool.

Did I get screwed?

(Now removing tongue from cheek.)

If you can't see $25 PLUS two bolts in the attachment send it on to me
and I'll return your $25 PLUS shipping! ;-)

Seriously, how much trouble is it to get two replacement bolts? Surely
someone will stock them. You may need to know the diameter, length,
thread type, etc. Then I'd bet you can get them from McMaster Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Al

I have a source for the screws - 3/8" USS x 3-1/2" square head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 16, 8:05*pm, Ignoramus12441 ignoramus12...@NOSPAM.
12441.invalid wrote:
A related topic, sort of the inverse of what the OP asked.

I have a mill, but no lathe.

I splurged once and bought a lathe chuck with R8 backing. I found out
that I could actually perform the most basic milling operations, such
as using a cutoff blade and reducing diameters. This chuck was already
useful once. Just curious if anyone else tried it.

I've run a model shop at electronics companies that don't have or need
a lathe, and used the mill to shorten or turn down standoffs a few
times. The only problem I noticed was the bit shifting in the vise.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 17, 5:25*am, "*" wrote:
Naw...I have a milling machine.

I just couldn't pass up this bargain.

The best bargain I ever found was a Starrett Last Word tagged
"pressure gage $7"

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12441 wrote:

I have a mill, but no lathe.

I splurged once and bought a lathe chuck with R8 backing. I found out
that I could actually perform the most basic milling operations, such
as using a cutoff blade and reducing diameters. This chuck was already
useful once. Just curious if anyone else tried it.

I've turned pins using collets in my bridgeport, bits in the mill vise.
Great minds think a like

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"*" wrote:

Guilty as charged....VBG

Well, since I wasn't looking for one for myself, congrats!

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not at all.

I suppose it is a tool post milling attachment. I have one for my
Sheldon. It isn't all that bad of a tool, but a real mill beats it.

The nice thing is cutting slots and stuff once something is turned.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

* wrote:
I recently found a milling attachment for my Atlas lathe in a used tool
emporium.

It was missing the two square-head bolts that hold things in the vise.

I paid $25.00 US (Twenty-five dollars) for the tool.

Did I get screwed?

(Now removing tongue from cheek.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-04-17, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus12441 wrote:

I have a mill, but no lathe.

I splurged once and bought a lathe chuck with R8 backing. I found out
that I could actually perform the most basic turning operations, such
as using a cutoff blade and reducing diameters. This chuck was already
useful once. Just curious if anyone else tried it.

I've turned pins using collets in my bridgeport, bits in the mill
vise. Great minds think a like

Yes, I kept the lathe bit in the vise. It is nice to have a R8 chuck,
however. They are not that expensive. $69 plus shipping.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15242 wrote:

Yes, I kept the lathe bit in the vise. It is nice to have a R8 chuck,
however. They are not that expensive. $69 plus shipping.

Hey Iggy,

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK3?PMK0NO=906327

I see Jacobs taper and 5C but not R8.
Where did you buy yours from?

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-04-18, Winston wrote:
Ignoramus15242 wrote:

Yes, I kept the lathe bit in the vise. It is nice to have a R8 chuck,
however. They are not that expensive. $69 plus shipping.

Hey Iggy,

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK3?PMK0NO=906327

I see Jacobs taper and 5C but not R8.
Where did you buy yours from?

See ebay item 300216542264. I believe that I bought my chuck from
another ebay seller, but I know this guy also (bought something else
from him) and he is OK. I am only a satisfied customer, no other
relation to the seller.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus15242 wrote:

Hey Iggy,

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK3?PMK0NO=906327

I see Jacobs taper and 5C but not R8.
Where did you buy yours from?

See ebay item 300216542264. I believe that I bought my chuck from
another ebay seller, but I know this guy also (bought something else
from him) and he is OK. I am only a satisfied customer, no other
relation to the seller.

Got it!
Thanks, Iggy!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-04-18, Winston wrote:
Ignoramus15242 wrote:

Hey Iggy,

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK3?PMK0NO=906327

I see Jacobs taper and 5C but not R8.
Where did you buy yours from?

See ebay item 300216542264. I believe that I bought my chuck from
another ebay seller, but I know this guy also (bought something else
from him) and he is OK. I am only a satisfied customer, no other
relation to the seller.

Got it!
Thanks, Iggy!

This chuck, works as advertised. Has two sets of jaws, also.

a real metalworking question - what is wrong William Noble Metalworking 12 October 29th 07 05:28 AM
I think I screwed up Shopdog Home Repair 17 July 4th 07 10:20 PM
Getting Screwed n cook Electronics Repair 2 May 31st 07 07:12 PM
i screwed up MitchA Woodworking 4 April 15th 05 04:33 PM
Screwed Again! Michael Stanford Woodworking 5 January 15th 05 03:41 PM