Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - As the noose tightens on the progun crowd...

strabo wrote:

_Creating a record and alert system to record when a gun sold at Wal-
Mart is later used in a crime. If the purchaser of that gun later
tries to buy another gun at Wal-Mart, the system would alert the sales
clerk of the prior buy and could refuse to make the sale.

Gee I guess they never heard of NICS? Been around a long time.

_Retaining the recorded images of gun sales in case law enforcement
wants to view them later as part of an investigation.

This is already occurring in many stores, Wal~Mart is just making it
public knowledge.

_Expanding background checks of employees who handle guns and
expanding inventory controls.

They must treat the store help different than the warehouse people. The
warehouse folks get a full background check and have for at least 9 years.

Suarez said the tougher standards will come with some additional cost
to the company.

"The costs are, we think, part of what it takes to be responsible.
Everything is not pain-free," he said, adding that small sellers can
implement many of the same rules. He did not say how long it would
take to implement all the changes, but noted that software must still
be created for an internal log of guns later used in crimes.

Suarez said his company may receive some pressure from gun rights
groups, but added, "This is not a signal that we're getting out of
firearms."

The National Rifle Association denounced the company's move.

"I view it as a public relations stunt that stigmatizes law-abiding
firearms purchasers exercising their freedom under the Constitution,"
said NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre. He said that if politicians were serious
about reducing gun crime they would worry less about legal sellers and
buyers and get tougher criminal sentences for illegal gun dealers.

"I honestly think it's a corporation trying to curry favor with
politicians as opposed to doing anything meaningful about stopping
crime," said LaPierre.

"We didn't pressure them, they're doing it because they think it's the
responsible thing to do," he said.

Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, had previously tried to
establish a store in New York City but failed.

_End the gun show loophole.

That doesn't exist except in the minds of the gun grabbing liberals.

_Require gun dealers to perform criminal background checks on all gun-
handling employees.

This is usually done by REAL gun stores as a matter of course. The big
chains don't because they usually hire whatever McDonald's and Burger
King throw back into the untrained labor pool.

_Close a so-called fire-sale loophole that allows gun dealers whose
licenses have been revoked by the government to sell off their
inventory without background checks.

Well considering that the ONLY people they can sell to after the license
has been revoked are other FFL holders who already are in the database
and have to keep all the same records or to ship the firearms back to
the distributor/manufacturer how is this a "loophole"

_Add those placed on the terrorist no-fly list to the list of people
prohibited from purchasing a firearm.

This one will get tossed out as unconstitutional.

Of course if SCOTUS does what is expected this outfits plans will all be
illegal anyway.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!