Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tile saws and sharpening stones

Has anyone used a tile saw to slice up a sharpening stone? Somewhere I have
two pieces of a soft arkansas stone that I'm considering trying to carve
into some custom shapes for sear polishing and other applications. The
price of small stones in various shapes is fairly high relative to the price
of a larger stone.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:51:09 -0400, Wes wrote:

Has anyone used a tile saw to slice up a sharpening stone? Somewhere I have
two pieces of a soft arkansas stone that I'm considering trying to carve
into some custom shapes for sear polishing and other applications. The
price of small stones in various shapes is fairly high relative to the price
of a larger stone.

Wes

I've used a cheap HF tile saw blade to slice up ferrite (magnetic
material) which is probably harder than a soft arkansas stone. No
problem.

Also, have a look at these inexpensive diamond blades:
http://www.dadsrockshop.com/blades.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 14, 9:51*am, Wes wrote:
Has anyone used a tile saw to slice up a sharpening stone? *Somewhere I have
two pieces of a soft arkansas stone that I'm considering trying to carve
into some custom shapes for sear polishing and other applications. *The
price of small stones in various shapes is fairly high relative to the price
of a larger stone.

Wes

You should have no problem at all cutting the stones with a diamond
saw and plenty of water. You might even be able to rough shape them by
using the blade like a grinding wheel.