Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Motor shaft mounted chuck

I bought a used Fisher Scientific overhead lab mixer. The mixer motor
is a rebranded Bodine gear motor with a direct drive output shaft and
a gear reduced output shaft. The mixer came without a drill chuck.

Each shaft is .315 "inch (5/16") diameter by 1" L . I want to
mount a 3/8 or so drill chuck on the direct drive shaft without adding
too much length.

Originally these mixers were equipped with a shaft mounted chuck held
in place with setscrews.

I don't know what the chucks are called so my searches come up with
all kinds of taper mounts. Does anyone know what these chucks are
called and where I might buy one.

The chuck needsto be hobby grade.

Thanks in advance

Russ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 13, 12:22*am, Russ Meredith wrote:
...Each shaft is .315 "inch (5/16") diameter *by * 1" L . *I want to
mount a 3/8 or so drill chuck on the direct drive shaft without adding
too much length....
The chuck needsto be hobby grade.
Russ

I know what you mean but I haven't seen the chucks separately. Do you
have the equipment and ability to adapt a common 1/2-20 mount chuck
with an adapter made from a bolt?

Chuck a short bolt in a lathe and drill it lengthwise 5/16" or 8mm.
Cross-drill and tap the head for the setscrew. Shorten the threaded
end until the bolt head seats on the back of the chuck. You might be
able to do this well enough for a mixer on a drill press.

I can't think of a simple, cheap way to attach a smaller chuck. The
root diameter of a 3/8-24 thread is only slightly larger than 0.315".
You could drill out the chuck threads and make an adapter with shallow
threads to match if you have a lathe. A Morse 0 chuck could be drilled
out to 0.315" but they aren't cheap and you might have to turn down
the stirrer shafts to fit into them.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 12, 9:22 pm, Russ Meredith wrote:
I bought a used Fisher Scientific overhead lab mixer. The mixer motor
is a rebranded Bodine gear motor with a direct drive output shaft and
a gear reduced output shaft. The mixer came without a drill chuck.

Each shaft is .315 "inch (5/16") diameter by 1" L . I want to
mount a 3/8 or so drill chuck on the direct drive shaft without adding
too much length.

Originally these mixers were equipped with a shaft mounted chuck held
in place with setscrews.

I don't know what the chucks are called so my searches come up with
all kinds of taper mounts. Does anyone know what these chucks are
called and where I might buy one.

The chuck needsto be hobby grade.

Thanks in advance

Russ

You could try McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) catalog # 43555A22
motor shaft adapter, which will give you 3/8-24 thread, then an
inexpensive threaded mount chuck, like # 3094A13
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 21:22:49 -0700, Russ Meredith
wrote:

I bought a used Fisher Scientific overhead lab mixer. The mixer motor
is a rebranded Bodine gear motor with a direct drive output shaft and
a gear reduced output shaft. The mixer came without a drill chuck.

Each shaft is .315 "inch (5/16") diameter by 1" L . I want to
mount a 3/8 or so drill chuck on the direct drive shaft without adding
too much length.

Originally these mixers were equipped with a shaft mounted chuck held
in place with setscrews.

I don't know what the chucks are called so my searches come up with
all kinds of taper mounts. Does anyone know what these chucks are
called and where I might buy one.

The chuck needsto be hobby grade.

Thanks in advance

Russ

You can get a replacement from Fisher or VWR, or easily make an
adapter if you have a lathe and a used chuck. I don't know the cost
of the chucks used, but they are pretty cheesy. If you only have to
mount one mixer shaft, you'll get more concentric running by just
turning a rigid coupling to fit both shafts.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 13, 10:01*am, "Robert Swinney" wrote:
Jim Wilkins sez: *"whole bunch of stuff" . *Why complicate the guy's life with a bunch of drill
press procedure?. *Just tell him to buy a set of Dremel tools and take the little chuck and attach
it with JB Weld. *Scheeeesh !

Bob Swinney

I was looking at a Dremel chuck and a larger chuck with a 1/4-20
mount, There isn't enough room to drill for a setscrew without
removing the shell, and I'm not going to disassemble mine just to
write it up.

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought a used Fisher Scientific overhead lab mixer. The mixer motor
is a rebranded Bodine gear motor with a direct drive output shaft and
a gear reduced output shaft. The mixer came without a drill chuck.

Each shaft is .315 "inch (5/16") diameter by 1" L . I want to
mount a 3/8 or so drill chuck on the direct drive shaft without adding
too much length.

Originally these mixers were equipped with a shaft mounted chuck held
in place with setscrews.

I don't know what the chucks are called so my searches come up with
all kinds of taper mounts. Does anyone know what these chucks are
called and where I might buy one.

The chuck needsto be hobby grade.

Thanks in advance

Russ

I'd get a 3/8" keyed chuck with 3/8-16 or 3/8-24 threaded mount, about
$12 to $15 at Enco. Then make an adaptor out of 3/4" round barstock
with suitable threads on one end and a 5/16" or .315 (or whatever)
hole and setscrew(s) on the other. It'd add maybe 3/4" to 1" of
length.

Anyone with a lathe could make this for you in a few minutes. I'd do
it for a sixpack.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought a used Fisher Scientific overhead lab mixer. The mixer motor
is a rebranded Bodine gear motor with a direct drive output shaft and
a gear reduced output shaft. The mixer came without a drill chuck.

Each shaft is .315 "inch (5/16") diameter by 1" L . I want to
mount a 3/8 or so drill chuck on the direct drive shaft without adding
too much length.

Originally these mixers were equipped with a shaft mounted chuck held
in place with setscrews.

I don't know what the chucks are called so my searches come up with
all kinds of taper mounts. Does anyone know what these chucks are
called and where I might buy one.

The chuck needsto be hobby grade.

Thanks in advance

Russ

Thanks for all the good advice. One of your own is making a shaft
mounted chuck for me. This is better then McMaster Car or Enco.

Russ

Purchasing a 15" Planer: Overhead mounted or under mounted motor? [email protected] Woodworking 5 July 5th 06 02:54 AM
Motor shaft adapter Alex Metalworking 7 April 29th 06 10:51 PM
Request for advice regarding cantilevered mounted bearing housing, deflections and shaft stresses John2005 Metalworking 12 November 11th 05 09:39 PM
Cutting a shaft off a motor Rex B Metalworking 21 October 5th 05 05:55 PM