Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Checking welding current

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:20:41 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote

I have an Extech Ammeter that reads AC and DC amps.
It cost me $85 at Fry's Electronics.

It works great, and is fairly compact.

I'm actually not as concerned about the exact number output as much as I
want to know if this old machine will still weld what I want to burn long
enough to pay for itself, and get me going without having to fork over twice
as much for a new one.

Since I'm getting replies all over the map on this one, I have decided to do
the following:

Get some of the rods of diameters I'm going to be welding with. 7018, 6010
and 6011, 1/8" and 3/32". Set the settings at the suggested amperage.
Weld, and see how they run. Then intentionally crank the settings up or
down from the accepted parameters, and see how they act.

I got back home today after a few days in Gomorrah taking care of some
things. I'll go pick up the radiator tomorrow, and if this wind will stop
for a few days, I'll get old Sally painted. In the meantime, there's power
washing at the car wash, WetOrDry sanding, and getting some new medium grade
bolts to put all the shrouding back on. (They had put it all back on with
soft Home Depot grade bolts.) Maybe make the tumbler for the gas tank out
of the barbecue spit turner I have .......... something to burn up a few
days of doodling.

Put it up on blocks and maybe go get some new tires. Get a new tongue where
the lock for the ball works. Torch off the old one. Look for some fenders
locally, although Northern Tools have some I like that have skirts in the
back that would bolt on better. Locate some decent lights. Send off for an
official Lincoln decal package.

I'm having some fun getting this old bucket running again. Pictures will be
available when I'm done. I'm into it about $800 right now.

Steve

Bottom line is how she runs regardless of what meters might indicate.
You need no book nor meter to know when a welder is running right or
not.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hold your phone calls, folks. We have a winner!

I used to get applicants for welding jobs. I'd take them to the shop, turn
the dials on the machines, give them some metal, and tell them how I wanted
it welded. Most came back saying how there was something wrong with the
machine. Some came back with the metal welded up. You could put the
symbols in Fijiian, and a real weldor would figure it out.

Steve