Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Checking welding current

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:29:57 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I'm picking up the radiator for the SA 200 Monday, and will be painting and
reassembling according to the wind speed over the next couple of weeks.
When I get the old gal running, I'd like to do a check on the output through
the leads.

Would I do this with a helper and an amp clamp? Set it up to weld, and then
weld with a helper watching an amp clamp on the lead? Is there another type
of tester I should use just on the main lugs off the machine? I'm just
trying to see if the output is good, and is within the range of the controls
indicate. I will be using 50' leads of #1 cable on each leg. I will be
using 7018 1/8" rod in the flat position, and making a dime size pool, and
trying to burn thirty seconds per setting. Stinger positive.

Does this sound like a plausible idea? Other suggestions, caveats, tips,
procedures or whatever appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

Your 50 feet of #1 copper lead would have a resistance of about .0063
ohms, so it will display a drop of 6.3 millivolts per amp.

Use a voltmeter on a low-volts scale to measure the voltage from end
to end of the 50 ft cable while welding. Amps will be
volts / .0063 or volts * 159.

Checking welding current Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 March 29th 08 02:53 PM
Checking into things ... Mary Beth Home Ownership 3 January 20th 08 01:01 PM
Checking in Drifter Woodworking 1 January 3rd 08 03:07 AM
Welding Aluminum (WAS: Welding Magnesium) tony Metalworking 5 November 7th 03 01:21 AM