Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wilkins Ice Shelf disintegrating

Mammoths have been found frozen, preserved, in Siberian and Alaskan
ice. Still had tropical flowers in their guts. They're dated to around
10,000 years ago, IIRC. What was going on up there then? Who or what
made the atmosphere so warm that this was possible? Volcanoes? Or were
their carcasses carried there by some unknown means, preserved all the
while? There are many, many questions surrounding this global warming
stuff, with too few answers.
All the same, I think our relentless and increasing consumption
of oil and gas and coal and everything else we take out of the ground
is getting more immoral all the time. Even the manufacture of the "Go
Green" T-shirts you can buy at Wal-Mart causes some pollution. We
could all do with living a lot more simply, but the downside to that
is the loss of millions of jobs in the places that make most of the
junk we buy now. Too many have grown up in this sort of arrangement
and need things the way they are. It's going to get interesting if we
don't do something. And interesting if we do.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:49:21 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

we live a simpler life in australia.

when I was in america (one month after 9/11)
I noticed the lighting in the homes. arrays of 6 high intensity lights
in the ceiling areas. certainly works.

in australia we paint the ceiling matt white and use 1 light in the
centre of the room. certainly works and uses a sixth of the power.

Stealth Pilot