Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default metal staining

We are doing a survey on some incredible custom homes. I will take some
pictures and post them at flickr next week.

These gates are one of a kind custom, and all appear to be made of steel.
But they use flat panels of 26ga. or so that have lots of hues in them.
Some appear that they have been discolored by heat, going to a purplish
tint. Some look golden, but more like light copper than actual gold. They
are all shiny on the surface, indicating clear coating. They are all sorts
of designs from suns to Indian symbols to abstracts. They are a combination
of tubular frame and flat panel inserts.

I was wondering if anyone knows how they get the colors in/on the metal.

I have to go to the manufacturing company next week to get the replacement
costs, and that should be interesting, as I will be looking for as much as
they will divulge about the process.

Nice looking stuff, and like I say, I'll have some pictures next week.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 20:08:20 -0800, "SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA
wrote:

[...]

Hey Steve,

There are some structural steels that are intended to be used without
further surface preparations to keep them from rusting. In fact, they
are intended to rust to provide an oxidation that has various hues,
from red to brown to purple to black. Quite striking. The are not
"shiny" though.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
SNIP
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Torches of various styles and heat ranges and LOT'S of practice.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 1, 9:08*pm, "SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote:
[...]

There are an incredible number of clear colors available in custom
automotive finishes, are you sure that isn't what you're seeing? A guy
with an airbrush can do some incredible things with them, too.

There ARE chemical methods for coloring steel, there's a whole book on
artistic chemical treatments of various metals and alloys, "The
colouring, bronzing, and patination of metal" by Richard Hughes.
Check your local library first, it's a spendy tome. Most of the
formulas etch the surface to one degree or another. It's oriented
more towards sculpture/architectural works, not selective treatments
and stenciling. I mentioned spray coatings first because that would
be easiest/cheapest to do with stencils.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you take some hot rolled steel - or stainless for that much -
and put it in the kitchen oven at 350 degrees F. Wait for a couple of hours
or have the oven at that temp and wait 30 minutes - it will be golden.

The colors are based on the temperature.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Gel-Staining HELP! bby Home Repair 5 October 27th 05 07:02 AM
Metal RediDrives and Metal Easy-Drivers- What is difference? Blair UK diy 11 June 7th 05 07:39 PM
Does polishing one or both surfaces reduce metal to metal friction? SA Development Metalworking 5 June 7th 05 01:19 AM
WTB Used Metal Shrinker for sheet metal work. Ebby Metalworking 0 May 21st 05 02:09 PM
Metal working tools for sheet metal... slightly different take than usual John Kelly Metalworking 0 November 12th 03 01:06 PM