Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Ron is offline

Default Onan 40cck-1R genset

Gunner Asch wrote:
I picked up a Onan 4kw genny that came out of an older motor home
being demolished. Seems to run fine, makes power, speeds up and down
properly when loaded/unloaded.

Id like however to have manuals on wiring, plant and motor, :just in
case"

Anyone have one?

I have the service manual and the parts catalog.

I got them from Cummins NW.

http://northwest.cummins.com/wps/por...sContentId=225

I could scan them to PDF files for you but I think you would
be happier with a real non-copied manual because wiring
diagrams don't scan worth a hoot.

These people also stock spare parts for that generator...or,
at least they used to.

As for being noisy, if it is mounted in an insulated plywood
box the way it was in the motorhome, it really will not be
that noisy. The exhaust is rather loud with the original
muffler but I replaced mine with a rather large modified car
muffler which made a world of difference.

What I did was to buy a large cheap after market car muffler
from an auto parts store. It had 2 1/4 inch or larger
outlet. I took a piece of 1 1/4 inch tail pipe and drilled a
few small holes in it. Just enough to create a little back
pressure in the muffler. I then wrapped this with fiberglass
and crammed it into the outlet pipe of the muffler.

To make things even quieter, I carried a length of 1 1/4
inch flexible tail pipe which I would connect to the new
muffler and then lay on the ground downwind from the motor
home and pointing away from the motor home. Most of the
remaining noise could be heard only when you were in line
with the outlet of this pipe. Got a nasty neighbor?

These generator are bullet proof and last forever.

They have an onboard electric fuel pump and were normally
fed from a separate fuel pickup in the motorhome main fuel
tank. This pickup pipe did not go to the bottom of the tank
so that you could not strand yourself in the boonies by
running the generator.

Because of this, you can use any fuel tank you can lay your
hands on. Many small cars have a really nice sized and
shaped tank. Take a trip to a wrecking yard and look around.

That generator uses about a gallon of gas per hour if I
remember correctly.

Ron

Onan 40cck-1R genset Pete C. Metalworking 0 February 4th 08 02:23 AM
Question Standby Genset Fred Home Repair 0 October 17th 06 01:10 AM
Need help re Onan engine The Duffer's Wife Metalworking 1 March 2nd 06 06:24 PM
Genset RPMs Rich Greenberg Home Repair 4 December 4th 05 08:47 PM
O.T help with onan engine williamhenry Metalworking 6 May 12th 05 02:05 AM